GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!

Go down 
+37
tristanide
94Woody
silverfox103
jayoldschool
ramrod_mobile
Dick Santana
Brandt51
Funkwagon455
Cosmos366
dmg4
RedandBlack
Jdeshler
Lynol
brokecello
MG Davis
Bert Slater
1tireman
BigBlackBeaSSt
Buicknutt
DBeaSSt
stewzer55
Sprocket
Bobloblaw
benn
Big Wagon Guy
Mark 96 Roady
Olds Weighty Eight
Gastt
Andebe
81X11
1993 Roady-man
Wagoninabox
bamalongroof
phantom 309
buickestate
lakeffect
JoeT
41 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
JoeT

JoeT

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Empty
PostSubject: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I've never dreamt I could find one of these, but it was offered up on the station wagon forum.

Now that the car has safely made it back to Michigan, I think I can safely start the project thread for the Caballero.

As you may know, this car was offered on the SW forum: http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31784

Bill (moparandfomoco) offered it up and I was lucky enough to be the first to respond.

I flew out to Albuquerque and spent a fun 4 days with Bill and his son, Anthony. As soon as I got a look at the car, I knew I would take it, so we got it ready for a short trip from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, where it would be easier to coordinate the transport arrangements.

I arrived late on a Thursday night and we went to see the car on Friday morning. This is how it looked:
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14429350088_704c60bfc8_b

Bill and Anthony  helped get the car up on jackstands and I got underneath to see what needed to be done to hold the rear axle in position. This car has a "torque-tube" drive train; without the transmission in place to hold the front of the torque tube, the rear axle is free to float around.

Here's Bill, clearing out the vegetation and making sure there are no critters under the car:
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14726370141_d169ee4e56_b

I was happy to discover that the front of the torque tube was already chained to the frame, so all we needed to do was tie down the rear axle.
We pumped up the rear tires and headed off to Harbor Freight for some ratchet tie-downs and tarps to wrap the loose parts.

you can see in this photo that the rear axle was sitting too far forward in the frame; the tire was hitting the front edge of the wheel opening:
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14729556325_5a8409c099_b

We got the axle into position using 4 tie-downs (2 pulling forward, 2 pulling rearward) and re-checked the tires. The rears were leaking badly, so we pulled the wheels and went in search of a tire service shop to install inner tubes. Chihuahua Tire & Auto Repair to the rescue!

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14749406473_2a3994918a_b

After lunch at BackRoad Pizza (Bill knew it was a good "Triple-D" recommendation!), we put the rear wheels on and got it rolling!

Bill, Anthony and I managed to push the car from the back of the yard up to the end of the gravel driveway, where it sat next to the home-owner's Buicks:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14729546285_dfd1c29c67_b

The muscle-men celebrate our little victory:
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14727173404_68762afdea_b

We left it at the end of the driveway. Bill had found a local tow company to pick the car up the next day and move it near his house for the cross-country pick-up.

It was about 98F by the time we headed back toward Albuquerque. Yeah, it's a dry heat, but it still felt hot!

Next morning, we pushed the car a little further up the driveway so the roll-back could easily got to it. Loading was uneventful and we set off for Albuquerque.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14543069937_9dd582df22_b

The truck needed fuel, so we stopped at the first available spot. The car drew quite a crowd!

Bill had arranged to leave the car at a friend's home. I truly lucked out on this deal; Bill, his wife Ruselle and their son, Anthony were SUPER hosts. We had some fun looking through the neighborhoods for old cars and trucks; they are everywhere out there!

The day after we moved the car to Albuquerque, I got to the car early and started prepping it for shipment. There was a lot of dust, sand, parts and junk in the car. Bill, Anthony and Anthony's friends helped wrap up the bumpers and get everything back into the car. By mid-day, it was ready for pick-up:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14749378433_e981a0d2fb_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14727148174_c1ba41bb5a_b

Here's the whole team of helpers.
From left to right; Bill (moparandfomoco), Anthony, Greg, Chris and Marilyn (their Mother), who is holding a copy of "Automobile" magazine with a picture of a 58 Caballero on the cover).

I can't thank Bill and Anthony enough for their help and hospitality. God Bless them!

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14542874188_283e1abb11_b

I flew home to Michigan and Bill met the transport company at the car a week later. Here it is as it arrived in Michigan:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  14653558157_5b286714ef_b

My intention was to disassemble the car and restore it, but I have been talking to a lot of people about restoration vs. preservation.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards getting it roadworthy and preserving it.

I'll post more in a few days when we get back from visiting our daughters in Minnesota and Illinois.

More to come!

LOLSUV likes this post

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Very Cool!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 pm

nice find Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am

how nice it must be to be able to have the time and resources to undertake such a neat project,..
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 12:16 am

That is one cool wagon.... Jeff
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 am

You can't help but smile. Great unusual and rare car and once running will be a real head turner. Thanks for saving this!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 am

So Cool!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 am

I ca't imagine what the cost of re-chroming that beast will run!

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 am

Really glad that car was saved and that you got it! I watched the story unfold on the Station Wagon forum. Can't believe the car nearly went for salvage. Really a neat one!

Will enjoy watching this thread! Keep it coming!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am

Wow,what a find...good luck with the project.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Got to love the south west weather for preserving these old cars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Best of luck Joe,where are you going to park the GTO?
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm

I've got access to storage space for the winter, so I'm planning to put the GTO away and keep the Caballero at the house.

Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:54 pm

I too followed that thread over at the SW forum. Awesome car that deserves another chance. Best of luck with it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 10:13 pm

I assume all the rear side glass is broken, not removed? If you can't find it, I was at Good-guys Columbus last month, and there is a company that will make clear glass quality plastic windows for any application. They showed pictures of several top customs and hot rods they had recently done, and you could not tell it was plastic. They also had a sample windshield, and until you knocked on it, you could not tell it was plastic. I imagine it is not cheap, but if you can't find the glass, at least you have an alternative. I don't know the name of the company, but I'm sure a little looking on the web will find it. Congrats on what I think it the coolest wagon ever made. And, a dry southwest one to boot! You are one lucky guy!!
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: progress report: 12/4/2014   It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 8:19 am

And so it begins....December 4, 2014 update

Borrowed a friend's truck & trailer and brought the Caballero home last week.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15314623203_507bf08f5f_b

First order of business: release the stuck tailgate latches.
It took a while, but I finally convinced the latches to release. Now, I need to get more PB Blaster into the hinges so I can free up the tailgate.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15927643276_70c9921542_b

I removed the roof rail moldings and seals, as well as much of the rear compartment trim. Lots more to do in that area!

So far, no rust or corrosion in any of the window channels; it's all just very dusty!

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15761299848_3f49b20211_b

Once that was done, I started to remove the front end sheet metal.
I started by measuring the gaps at all the fender/hood/door interfaces and setting the door/fender/hood positions where they need to be.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15746816678_7cc51cf88c_b

Then I drilled alignment holes in the fender and hood mounting brackets so I can more easily - and accurately - position the sheet metal during re-assembly. You can see the small finishing nail (locator) in this fender mounting bracket photo:
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15951467151_89eb0eaf89_b

Then I started removing the attaching bolts. There must be about 100 bolts holding all this front end sheet metal together!

Got the fenders off, then the grill.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15932288571_60703b99d2_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15908448666_ecbf58011b_b

Then pulled the fan shroud & radiator.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15314612833_cecfb68086_b

I can't believe how good the metal looks under all that dust!

Neat design; the whole ‌inner front sheet metal assembly can be removed in one piece.
I was surprised to learn that this entire sub-assembly is held on to the frame by only 5 bolts!:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15948044492_b98e5bd918_b

After that was moved aside, I finished removing the hood and got some assistance from my wife to move the hood to the open area in the garage.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15948040272_ec7f372cea_b

I was ready to quit at this point, but HAD to see what was under that dusty old carburetor...
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15948707175_e7c0b25a78_b

The throttle plates were all tightly closed and covered with more of the desert dust and crud that is all over the frame and underbody.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15948037372_6cebf58a45_b

I was pleasantly surprised; the underside of the throttle body was clean and the throttle shafts feel snug.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15761403120_e9ac587abc_b

Just for giggles, I tested the starter switch...IT WORKS! The switch contacts close at about 20 degrees of throttle opening.
I think I can make that work when I get this baby back together!

Next step: borrow and engine crane/cherry picker and pull the engine. Can't wait to see what I find under all that dust and dirt!
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Awesome   It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 am

Don't know how I missed this thread. Love the car and the adventure. Can't wait to see it finished. I assume its heading down the restoration path? What colors are you going with?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 10:10 am

Off to a great start,love the pictures.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 am

Big Wagon Guy wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread. Love the car and the adventure. Can't wait to see it finished. I assume its heading down the restoration path? What colors are you going with?

Yes, I am planning to restore it.

It was a difficult decision; I was tempted to just do the minimum to make it a safe driver, but it is such a rare and neat car, I decided to bring it all the way back. I also plan to add a dual master cylinder, power brakes and (probably) A/C.

The car was originally "Garnet Red", which was kind of a metallic cinnamon color. There is a rusty area on the hood where the seat was sitting on top of the car, but the what you're seeing on the rest of the body is not rust; it is the original, faded paint.

This Century is the original color (except my wagon was all one color):
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  101_2202

I like the original color, but I am seriously thinking of painting it white/turquoise/white with a matching two-tone interior, like this:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  1958buicksuper

I usually don't change colors on any car I restore, but that turquoise/white just screams "1958" to me and I think it shows off all the stainless and chrome better than the original color. I don't know which way to go, but I have at least a year of work before I have to make the paint and interior color decisions.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 10:45 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
I assume all the rear side glass is broken, not removed? If you can't find it, I was at Good-guys Columbus last month, and there is a company that will make clear glass quality plastic windows for any application. They showed pictures of several top customs and hot rods they had recently done, and you could not tell it was plastic. They also had a sample windshield, and until you knocked on it, you could not tell it was plastic. I imagine it is not cheap, but if you can't find the glass, at least you have an alternative. I don't know the name of the company, but I'm sure a little looking on the web will find it. Congrats on what I think it the coolest wagon ever made. And, a dry southwest one to boot! You are one lucky guy!!

Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion!
I can get a new windshield and all the door/vent/window glass is flat glass, so I can order new glass for those missing parts.
The only piece of glass that is not available is the liftgate glass, but mine is in great shape.

Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 7:51 pm

stick with the stock color! its different and i like it!

Really cool project!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 11:18 pm

2 for stock color.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 11:43 pm

benn wrote:
stick with the stock color! its different and i like it!

Really cool project!

Wagoninabox wrote:
2 for stock color.  

If I stick with the original color, I would probably go with a two-tone like this (Jim Culp image):

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  2813110294_ae1eb0f11b_o
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 12:45 am

Yes.

That is gorgeous.

Do that.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 8:13 am

Nailed it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Ding ding ding,we have a winner!Its ultimately your choice Joe but PLEASE dont paint it bright orange!LOL
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 5:42 pm

That last one DOES look pretty sweet. hmmmmm.......
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Coulda had two more feet of cargo space if it went to the end of the wings!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 12:32 am

It is truly hard to believe that Buick made a car that cool in 1958. It's even harder to believe that it survived in the dry southwest, and is now in safe hands. Best of luck in your restoration. No matter what color you choose you will have a spectacular car when you are done.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 8:24 pm

December 13, 2014 update

I was able to remove all the trim and the headlight buckets from the fenders. I can't believe how solid the metal is on this car!
On both fenders, all the mounting tabs and holes for trim clips are in great condition, except where someone apparently ripped the "bull's-eye" emblem out of the fender!
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15827959670_d607388ce8_b

So far, the only rust I've found is in the doglegs at the rear of the rear doors. There are a couple of pinholes in the passenger side rear floor pan where there was a pile of leaves and junk laying on the floor, but otherwise it all looks excellent.

The die-cast headlight housings and the eyebrows are almost perfect!
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15829474877_295b714cd1_b

The headlight buckets are a little rough on the back side, but they look like new inside!

Once all the front end sheet metal was out to the way, I borrowed a friend's engine lift to pull the nailhead.

After a couple of false starts due to some air in the hydraulic cylinder, I was able to begin lifting. This engine is no lightweight!
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15989394216_51ebdde2e6_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15392905944_0db60979b8_b

I thought I had disconnected everything, but I missed one of the transmission shift linkage brackets. Luckily, I caught it before destroying the pivot bracket.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15827764798_8e53c17ab1_b

Engine out and on its way to the open garage bay.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15392904654_74ec069d40_b
Had a VERY scary moment when the engine swayed "downhill" and the whole shebang started to go over. I was able to control it and keep everything from tipping over, but now my back is a little angry at me.
Sorry; no pics. I had my hands full at the time!

I have an old welding cart that worked perfectly as a "nest" for the engine. I left the lift connected so nothing can tip or roll while I proceeded with a preliminary inspection.

I pulled the rocker covers and didn't see any obvious valve train problems. There is a little condensation visible, but that's the only issue I see.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15829127259_e5cd757d32_b

The crossover manifold came off easily, but the water pump is being obstinate. One bolt won't budge; I'm going to let the PB Blaster soak for a day or two before I try again.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15829123369_445604ac71_b

When the engine was still in the car, I had tried to roll it over and I couldn't get it to move more than a few degrees. I had not removed the spark plugs yet, so I was hoping it would move freely after I got the plugs out...

After pulling the plugs, I poured a few ounces of MMM in each cylinder.

After a few hours, I tried to turn the crank but it still won't move more than about 10 degrees. I was hoping it would be free, but no such luck.

I'll try moving it again in a couple of days, but it looks like I need to have a pro go through the engine. Only thing I've ever built was a stock 283 for my 1957 Corvette, back in about 1981. Not sure I want to tackle this one...

Back to the chassis; I removed the Y pipe; it is very heavy and it looks like the original Buick part! I hope to find the stamped part number after it's been cleaned up.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16014463812_eff3e548da_b

Now that the engine is out, I'll let it sit for a few days before trying to move the crank again.

In the meantime, I will start working on the tailgate hinges; they are stuck solid.
Probably won't have much more to report until January.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Following.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Cant believe someone was going to junk this beautiful old girl,thanks for saving her Joe.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks Jim.
It's going to take me a long time, but I think it will be worth the effort.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Going to be worth a LOT of money when you are done with it.I saw a similiar wagon on one of the big auction sites go for almost 6 figures.I think it was on the show "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carrini.You are lucky its so complete with all that stainless trim.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:44 am

I have 2 rust free southern cars, and it always amazes me when a nut comes off a bolt without drama. My cars are only 21 and 18 years old, and yours is close to 60 years old! You truly must have done something right in a former life to score such an amazingly cool old RUST FREE car!
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 am

Yes, I am blessed.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Wow, I've been busy on a bathroom remodel and just reading this now, nice score of a rare one.

Love 50s wagons, from the tin woody up to the 59s..... will follow with great interest.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 6:10 pm

This is the coolest wagon of the 50's, right up there with the 55-7 Pontiac Safari's. This should be a 364 Nailhead right?
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Yes; it is a 364.
Engine is original to the car; Buick stamped VIN on the blocks.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Just now reading through this thread. Great find and looks like a fun project, thanks for sharing the progress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Happy New Year! First 2015 update   It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 11:58 am

Update 2015.01.05

I have made some progress recently...

I pulled the intake manifold and the valley pan; everything looked very good.
No stuck valves, all lifters looked clean and appeared to move smoothly, but I could only get about 90 degrees of rotation on the crank before it came to a hard stop.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15829415137_da7609ae06_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15829127259_e5cd757d32_b

I used a borescope to look into the cylinders, but I could not get a good look at the combustion chambers and cylinder walls.
I figured I had to tear it down further anyway, so I pulled the heads.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15993995797_a7da95189d_b

The obstruction was rust in the #8 cylinder.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15992361138_acc27e635c_b

A few minutes with some Marvel Mystery Oil and a soft wire brush and the engine was spinning smoothly.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16179035572_fdbe408268_b

Next step is to get it to a professional for cleaning/magnaflux and re-fresh.
It doesn't look like it needs to be bored, but I won't know for certain until it's cleaned and measured.

Picked up a parts car just before Christmas. It has a lot of stuff that I need, and some stuff I wanted.
It had a split folding rear seat; the only one I've ever seen; pretty cool!

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16019142280_85b9c41fd9_b

Started cleaning and prepping the grille inserts. I haven't decided if I can live with the original chrome or if they need to be re-plated.
There is a little bit of pitting and some "desert sand-blast" spots on the faces of the grille diamonds.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16019293910_92793562e1_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16204765221_5a65744db9_b

Hubcaps off the parts car look very nice when they're cleaned up. Still need some TLC/polishing, but I'm going to be able to use them.

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16177915971_f9dc0e0365_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16177915401_bc3a5580e1_b

I took the opportunity to try out my recently-acquired ultrasonic cleaner.
Here's the carb as it was being disassembled:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15948037372_6cebf58a45_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16199011365_88b573c737_b

Into the tank:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16198192772_4d21547ae3_b

After 25 minutes in hot water & Pine Sol:

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  16019150510_45b33ccf50_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  15584098354_28c49eeb9b_b

On the third batch of parts, the cleaning solution was less effective, but I'm very happy with how it worked.
The internal passages are clear and I only need to do a little "touch-up" where the varnish was thickest in the bottom of the float bowls.

More soon!
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 am

looks fun! congrats...just found this thread
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am

Great build, keep the pictures coming
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:20 am

Really enjoying this thread! Love that car, such a good save!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Carter AFB?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Thought it would be done by now considering how fast the GTO restoration went.With the money these wagons are bringing completely restored just rechrome everything that's not perfect!Are you going to go with the original colors?
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Haven't been around much lately....

stewzer55: Yes; AFB

Flasheroo: This one's going to take a lot longer than the GTO.
I'm planning to pull the body off this spring. I figure I've got 3 years of work ahead of me...
And yes, there is a TON of stainless and chrome to be done!!!

Hope to post an update in a few weeks. Too much going on to touch the car right now.
We were gone for much of the winter and now we are helping out with our daughter, son-in-law and grandson's relocation from Illinois back to Michigan (YAY!) so there is no garage time these days.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Joe has also been busy being a good Son, doing some home improvements in her home. He has been very busy so far this year I have seen this 58 in person, it's impressive and in good hands.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: September 2015 update.   It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 pm

My, how time flies....

Wow...summer's essentially over and it's almost embarassing to admit how little I have accomplished on the Caballero.

Inspection of the engine revealed corrosion that was too deep to clean up with a hone, so it needed to be bored .030".
The heads checked out great.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  21109545881_f6f41110e3_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20479214434_765501bdcf_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  21075636806_94a0d4befc_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20913724730_e6d528b4a0_b
Engine assembly will begin soon (September).

Re-built starter and generator
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  19675840874_990e8248c4_b

All engine brackets and tin parts (air cleaner, rocker covers, heat shields, etc) were bead blasted and prepped for paint.
The air cleaner base will require some additional work to repair some rust pitting and pinholes.

The oil pan drain plug area also required some repair due to a significant dent just ahead of the drain plug.

I removed the fuel tank and got a very unpleasant surprise.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20480656723_753c468dfe_b

Apparently, someone tried to tow the car when the transmission had been removed. That let the rear axle basically stay at rest until the front of the gas tank crashed into the differential case. At that point, the gas tank became the push bar for the body and the forces were sufficient to put a nice imprint of the differential into the front of the gas tank.It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  21109413581_f4dec86e76_b

I haven't cut it open yet, but the plan is to cut two large windows in the top of the tank so the damage can be worked out from above/inside the tank.

The dash has been removed and the steering column comes next.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20913811948_187edb1d94_b

Speedometer needs to be rebuilt. Cool piece; it shows a travelling red band in the slot to indicate vehicle speed.

I bumped out the dents and creases in the front fenders and they are at the media blaster to be blasted and primed.

Had to drill out all the spot welds an remove the front fender reinforcements due to corrosion below the headlights. I've seen much worse, but I was hoping this would not be this bad.
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  19647877176_06483053e0_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  19053169533_e474d09d27_b

All the front end sheet metal (core support, fender liners, fan shroud, etc) was disassembled, media blasted and powder coated satin black.
Looks great!
It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20914961219_bf7fae81c8_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  21109560051_209ede10aa_b

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  20913647830_0017b8dfcb_b

The radio was refurbished by Kim Kusluski in Grand Blanc, MI. Works great!

More soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!    It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's a Buick, but it's not something you see very often. Caballero!
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next