GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Intermittent no start

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
louriv

louriv

Intermittent no start Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 pm

92 RMW TBI. Bone stock. Car will start & run fine for days, then, out of the blue, you turn the key, & nothing, no clicking, nothing. When key is in run position, every thing works; radio, lights, etc, just no crank. I'm thinking starter solenoid, but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Had it towed to work (Chevy dealership), and it started OK when they unloaded it, and all day the next day (of course). Drove it with no problems for three days, & it dod it again, let it sit for 3 - 4 hours, & it started as if it had never happened We didn't want to replace anything without it actually acting up. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if so, what they found. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.HippodromeGourmetCandles.com
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm

You can test the solenoid, and there are a few ways of doing that (just do a quick google search).

For giggles, with someone cranking with the key, tap on the starter with a small hammer and see if it cranks. (If it does, it should be a starter problem). Also be sure to check all wiring going into the starter, making sure connections are clean and tight.

For the ignition switch, I'd recommend using a voltmeter.... and I'l have to double check where (I left my repair manual at work today, so I won't be able to answer this part till later tomorrow!)

With a random problem, it becomes very hard to diagnose, and all of these will have to be tested when the car does not start.
Back to top Go down
louriv

louriv

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Chris. Hopefully I'll be able to get it on a lift after work, (not a fan of crawling under a car), and do the checks you suggested. I'm hoping it is a starter, becaust they're relatively easy to swap out.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 pm

louriv wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Chris. Hopefully I'll be able to get it on a lift after work, (not a fan of crawling under a car), and do the checks you suggested. I'm hoping it is a starter, becaust they're relatively easy to swap out.

I only hope it's the easiest, quickest fix!

Also, when checking everything, make sure the wiring is okay.  My first thought was something with the ignition switch, but the starter (and solenoid) can also cause these problems.

Another way to test the starter is just to remove it and take it to your nearest Advance for a bench test.  (At least I know the one where I work can do that).  I don't know if NAPA is free, of if AutoZone can do it - but any place that can test it should be able to pretty quickly.  If it passes, have them run it two to four times.  (I forgot to add this on the first post).

**Edit: And no problem, you were just the first post I looked at as I went through the forums after work! (lol)
Back to top Go down
louriv

louriv

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Finally got it to act up at the shop. Yay! Replaced the starter assembly. Now, she starts like a champ! I've noticed that the new starter turns much faster than the one we replaced, so the old one must have been tired & on the way out. I'm going to have to be much more observant.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Good to hear!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 am

Good to hear, i replaced my starter last year, same issues as yours
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent no start   Intermittent no start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent no start
Page 1 of 1