GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers Empty
PostSubject: 8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers   8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi all-

Not an audiophile and hope someone can answer a question for me.

I found that the earlier wagons (91-93) had 10 Ohm rear speakers. Later model years went to super light weight versions and were 8 Ohms. My passenger side speaker has had a hole through it from prior owner putting jack iron through it while trying to store jack and handle.

I picked up a set of factory rear speakers from a 92 Wagon a while ago and did not know at the time about the differences between the model years.

So I have the rear apart doing some other maintenance and wanted to put the replacement Delco speakers in but not sure if the 10 Ohm rating is going to be a problem or not?

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers   8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 9:28 am

If you are going to a higher ohm speaker, you will get slightly less volume from them. If you are going to a lower ohm speaker the volume will be a little higher, but you may risk frying them if you run the volume up too high. The output transistors in your stereo could possibly overheat with the lower ohm speakers. You should use the same rating on both sides. Most newer cars have 4 ohm speakers.
Back to top Go down

8 Ohm vs 10 Ohm speakers
Page 1 of 1