GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No heat in my 95 RMW!

Go down 
+12
Eds rmw
81X11
1993 Roady-man
lamune
sherlock9c1
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
silverfox103
bocoogto
95BRMW
phantom 309
dnvrdisc
16 posters
AuthorMessage
dnvrdisc

No heat in my 95 RMW! Empty
PostSubject: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello all...
i know this issue has been discussed before, but I thought that perhaps there's something I might have missed.
I have flushed the heater core, backwards and forward several times, changed to a new 180 degree thermostat and still the car runs at about 170 degrees and there is cold air blowing even with the control set at top limit(90 degrees).The air works fine and is ice cold, but there just is no heat! Is there something i'm overlooking...a control relay, or switch or something that determines sending heat into the passenger compartment? Also, both heater hoses are very hot,so I assume that heat is going through the core. Really has me stumped! Any clues i might try?
I thought this might be a design flaw, since my first RMW did the same thing !! HELP!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 11:51 am

dnvrdisc wrote:
Hello all...
i know this issue has been discussed before, but I thought that perhaps there's something I might have missed.
I have flushed the heater core, backwards and forward several times, changed to a new 180 degree thermostat and still the car runs at about 170 degrees and there is cold air blowing even with the control set at top limit(90 degrees).The air works fine and is ice cold, but there just is no heat! Is there something i'm overlooking...a control relay, or switch or something that determines sending heat into the passenger compartment? Also, both heater hoses are very hot,so I assume that heat is going through the core. Really has me stumped! Any clues i might try?
I thought this might be a design flaw, since my first RMW did the same thing !! HELP!

How did you fix your first rmw?

there is a door in the heater box that closes off the core,. it;s not moving
for whatever reason,...
Back to top Go down
dnvrdisc

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 pm

To answer your first question....I took the first RMW to a Chevrolet dealer and paid a large sum(plus many trips!) to get it working so that I have enough heat to keep from freezing in the Colorado winters. I'd like to try to fix this one myself, since I can't afford the dealers prices for repairs that they are pretty vague about telling you what they did!! Guess they might all be like that?
Bob
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. Turn the ignition on and let the climate control recalibrate itself, you might be able to hear the blend door move while this is happening. 91-93 will have a countdown on the display, 94-96 won't show anything. Don't touch it while this is happening. Once it's done the blower will come on.
Had this happen on my car a couple times, the computer gets stupid and doesn't know what position the door is in.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 2:06 pm

The lack of heat on my '95 RMW is a little different. It heats as it should intermittently. When it's not heating, if I grab the inlet hose to the heater core, it is hot. The outlet hose is cold. This tells me there is insufficient flow through the core.

I've removed the hoses and found I can blow through the core by blowing into the inlet hose with my mouth. Also can blow back into the hose to the water pump housing fairly easily--both the inlet and outlet hoses.

What is the function of the plastic device in the inlet hose? It has an arrow labeled "heater core" on it. Is this a check valve or is it a flow restrictor? No heat in my 95 RMW! _66_tr10
No heat in my 95 RMW! _66_tr10
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 pm

You need to flush the core, one way, then the other. Blowing into it doesn't tell you anything.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 10:34 am

I needed this post today! Both the Roadmaster and the OCC are down do to heat! Evil or Very Mad I saw the countdown with the OCC several times but the fan didnt kick in. What peeves me,is I had the Roadys core flushed in August,so this wouldnt happen! Arrrrrggghhhh! I usually dont drive either one during the winter,but I loaned my winter ride to a family member who needed some help. To top things off,the Roady keeps freezing up the glass on the inside of the windshield,making a hell of mess on the dash matt. Rant over... scratch
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Does your fan in the OCC run at any time? My OCC does not even have the compressor hooked up, or the compressor hoses installed, and the fan will run when the countdown is finished. If the fan does not run, it could be the fan, or the controller.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Fan runs fine. If the heater puts out heat, the fan will modulate from full on to two bars. If the heater puts out cool air, the fan will stay on full bars at all times.

As I said, when working normally, the inlet howe to the core is hot, the outlet one warm. When it doesn't heat, the outlet hose is cold.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

One of the B-bodies I owned had a lot of the clumps of the original GM stop-leak lurking in the system, and every so often one of them would end up in the heater core or restrictor. So I just flushed it out, and again I had heat. I'd just disconnect the hoses from the water pump and force a garden hose against each one for awhile until it flowed clear.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Well, there are really only three reasons why you wouldn't get heat in these cars:

1: No coolant flow through the heater core (or coolant itself is cold)

2: Blend door is stuck in cold air mode

3: Fan isn't moving air

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Has anybody had the issue of..... when you put it on heater it blows out the defrost and visa versa? Mine does that and driving back and forth to Burlington is getting colder. And it isn't a strong flow of air either?

Assuming blend door and if so what am I looking for. I don't want to start tearing things apart looking for issue only finding myself chasing it. I would love to know exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks. I have limited amount of time to work on it when i'm home, since i'm constantly gone lately.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Has it always been this way? It could be that someone worked on it, and the vacuum lines are hooked up incorrectly.

The blue hose (first position) goes to the defroster valve, and is next to the violet hose on the end of the manifold. The tan hose in the third position between the red hose and the orange hose.

You could check to make sure the vacuum is being ported properly. If not, it could be the manifold, or the signal it is getting from the control head.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks and yes it's been like this for awhile. The heat has been gradually going away so assuming heater needs flushing.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 9:09 am

With the two functions occurring out of sync with the settings you have a different issue to address. The heater core may well need flushing, but the defrost working in heat, and vice versa, you need to address that as well.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

That I know. Thanks
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Just an idea, in the summers sometimes I have to run my climate control to full-hot and the back to full-cold, changing the temp, to get the a/c really super-cold. I think sometimes a door in there hangs up a bit and doing the full-cycle from hot-to-cold a few times gets it back to where it needs to be. You might try that.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend flushing all the red coolant out if you have it and replacing it with new "any-color-compatible" coolant. I know they say it's gotten better, but I hate Dex-Cool coolant.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Well I went with putting in a new heater core and just left the controls alone. The best 2 hours I spent. Now the heater will blast you outta there.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Sometimes the heater core is not salvageable, and you just have to replace it.
Back to top Go down
Eds rmw

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Replacing the heater core is your best bet. I flushed mine, backflushed , results were mediocre. Changing the core out was not that hard.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 11:29 am

I flushed it and the heater now works fine.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm

I tried the recalibrate the flap without much expectation. It worked!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Isurf wrote:
I tried the recalibrate the flap without much expectation. It worked!
Thanks!

Sometimes the simple solutions work! Good Deal!
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 am

Must....contain... inner.... teenage ....boy....arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Various oral manipulations of the heater core here are not making this easy.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm

last year the recalibrate got me reasonable heat. This year I flushed the heater core and got better heat. Thanks for all the help.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 pm

I did a heater core flush on the wife's wagon today. I disconnected the heater hoses from the Tee and the restrictor. Then I just held the garden hose to each end for a bit, flushing in both directions till the water was clear. I folded the hose to control the volume and pressure. Wife says the heat is much better now!

I really need to do a complete system flush. I drained and changed the coolant and hoses and cleaned/flushed out the tank before putting the car back on the road, but the coolant is now pretty dirty again.

Hopefully the core flush gets her through the winter...
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
I did a heater core flush on the wife's wagon today. I disconnected the heater hoses from the Tee and the restrictor. Then I just held the garden hose to each end for a bit, flushing in both directions till the water was clear. I folded the hose to control the volume and pressure. Wife says the heat is much better now!

I really need to do a complete system flush. I drained and changed the coolant and hoses and cleaned/flushed out the tank before putting the car back on the road, but the coolant is now pretty dirty again.

Hopefully the core flush gets her through the winter...

Have to pull the Knock Sensors and flush all of the junk out of the block.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No heat in my 95 RMW!   No heat in my 95 RMW! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No heat in my 95 RMW!
Page 1 of 1