GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH

Go down 
+4
dmg4
Sprocket
Andebe
GMjonn
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GMjonn

GMjonn

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Empty
PostSubject: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 11:40 pm

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Image%202_zps5ydydbx6

We purchased our 1994 wagon way back in 1999; we were the second owners, and purchased it from a dealership where it had been traded in with only 27,000 miles on it. The car looked like it was still brand new, even though it was 5 years old. It was driven daily  and has been used for all of our family vacations for many years. The car easily accommodated two adults, two children in car seats, all our luggage and a Golden Retriever for the 900 mile trip to the north east to visit our families each summer. We figure that we have made at least 15 trips to the northeast in the car, 3 trips to Ft. Lauderdale and 5 trips to Daytona to visit family. Additional trips include two Tybee Island vacations, a trip to Disney, and countless other shorter family jaunts, not to mention numerous turns driving the soccer car pool.
  JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH PHOT0004_zpsb3d02647-1

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Roadmasterboat_zpsfkyhagjx

In 2001 I found a 1978 Chrysler Conqueror ski boat for sale in NY in really great shape, so we combined our annual  visit to the relatives and buying a boat into a single trip. We purchased the boat and towed it the 900 miles back to Georgia. The car hauled the boat with ease, and plenty of power; the engine never ran hot the whole trip, even at highway speeds in hilly Virginia. My wife, who had never towed anything that big or heavy felt comfortable driving the car when it was her turn behind the wheel. Many summers were spent towing that same boat to Lake Lanier, so we could have fun as a family out on the lake. The car always pulled the boat out of the water no problem even on the wettest, steepest, of ramps.

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Roadmasterdirtbikes_zpszgnyikjc

I also used the wagon to haul our 2 dirt bikes around, going to various riding places and races in northern Georgia, and Alabama. That certainly took a toll on an interior that was already starting to look a bit ragged from years of daily use and what two kids and a big dog put it through. The leather seats still have no tears, but the carpet needs a serious cleaning every other year, and I replaced the headliner a few years back. We have spent a small fortune on double sided tape, but we can say that our car retains all its original black rubber moldings! We did have one sail panel sail away on the return from our Disney Vacation. What fun it was finding a replacement before I discovered the wagon forums and more cars started becoming available in salvage yards.

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Roadmasterwork_zpszzt9ym2r

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH IMG_1041_zpsa04d3ccb
Our Buick has a few other towing accomplishments to her credit. In 2008 after an extensive search I found a convertible for my wife, unfortunately it's location was Springfield, Vermont. Have I mentioned that we live in Georgia. No we didn't trailer it all the way back, but we did rent a car trailer and haul it to my in-laws just outside of Albany, NY where I had a car hauler transport it back to Georgia. Oh, and just two summers ago we pulled an enclosed U-Haul from NY back to GA with an assortment of goodies I unearthed at my parent's house.

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Roadmastertree_zpstcepud9a

We also use the wagon to get our Christmas tree every winter and tie it to the roof Christmas Vacation style. Regardless of the size of the tree the car could always easily accommodate it although I'm pretty sure that none of our trees were quite as large as Chevy Chase's. Typically the tree is pulled in the trailer for the ride to the drop off station for recycling. This helps to keep pine needles out of the car.

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Image_zpsnzzqimbl

I've made a few modifications to the car. The polished Impala SS rims, Swiss cheese airbox with drop in K & N filter, 1st base and home plate delete, tinted windows, blacked out pillars, Pypes X pipe, Thrush Turbo mufflers, and a 2.5 inch over the axle pipes with resonator delete, a 9c1 anti sway bar with Energy Suspension poly bushings are my current contributions to individualizing the vehicle. Future mods will most likely include mechanical fan delete, as the boat is going up for sale, and eliminating what's left of the factory air intake system
JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Image%204_zps5twd12v9
JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Image%203_zpsg2uvlthu

Last edited by GMjonn on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 am

Nice write up,looks like a well loved,well used ride.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:44 am

doing what wagons do best. I had a 94 same color combo. Sold it with 222K on it to Mr. Buick here on the forum, he still has it up in Mich.

Thanks for the story/pics
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 11:40 am

Where I grew up you'd never sell a car with that much family history in it. Once it passed away, you'd proudly display it on blocks in the front yard, and if the neighbors complained you'd knock out the windows and get some chickens.

Nice car, and great story!
Back to top Go down
1tireman

1tireman

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Nice story, thanks for sharing! Very nice looking wagon.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Nice story John!

She looks better now than when you bought her. You've certainly got your money out of her.

Tom
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Great story; thanks for sharing and congratulations on having the LROM!
Back to top Go down
Dropkick_Eddie

Dropkick_Eddie

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Great wagon, and even better story!Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH   JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JULY 2016 WAGON OF THE MONTH
Page 1 of 1