GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

exhaust leak

Go down 
+2
Eds rmw
Danr63
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 4:48 pm

My daughter's 96 roadmaster wagon has a horrible leak that lest fumes into the car. I found the issue the driver side exhaust manifold bolt (very back) has broken off causing the manifold to leak. Now the big $1000 question.... Do any of you guys know how to get that bolt out without having to take the head off the engine? based on how much of the old bolt I was able to get out it appears it would be broken off flush (I know bad). Any help here would be great I have a month to sort this out because the car will be going back to new mexico at the end of Jan. Thanks dan
Back to top Go down
Eds rmw

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Mine did that same bolt too. I removed the inner fender, used a long drill bit, tap extension. Tough job, but easier than pulling the head. A search may help find other methods.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Folks have used this method with decent success.

The other option is to replace the manifold with headers. They don`t use the outermost bolts.
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for the help so far guys! But keep the help coming! Thanks dan
Back to top Go down
3DB

3DB

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Good luck with the repair, please post when you've solved this!
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 am

So far was able to get at the hole with a long (24 inch) drill bit "1/4 in" to drill out the bolt enough to use an EZ out. BUT now I need the same kind of long set up for the EZ out. No room to get my hands in there to turn it. Will keep you all posted. Take care Dan
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 8:44 am

There is a product called Freeze-Out that you can get at NAPA to use instead of using heat, before you use the easy-out. My brother used it on an O2 sensor that was stuck, and it became almost "finger tight" when frozen. Use a catch pan under the area, and spray the crap out of it.
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks! I will look into it today before I start.

Went out and bought the stuff called "freeze off" from CRC products. Will let all of you know today how it works out! (keep your fingers crossed)
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 8:35 pm

It's fixed! cheers But let me say "sometimes a man has to do what he has to do" The bolt never came out locked up tight like it was welded to the head. So what what done is it was drilled to accept a 5/16 tap. Tapped it out and installed a 5/16-18 bolt instead of the 3/8-18 that was in there before. Snugged the manifold tight up on the block and the leak/smell/noise are now all gone. I would swear that this car always comes home to try and die. I revive it and send it home! Well guys that is all for now thank you all for your help take care Dan
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2016 9:25 pm

well done. Hope your daughter buys you a six-pack for your trouble (even though I'm sure you were happy to do it).
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2017 1:13 am

I had this exact same bolt snap on one of my wagons years ago...I simply doubled up on the gaskets and it was instantly quiet..30 minute fix
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 am

Seems to be a common bolt to break on ALL of them. Our old dark cherry wagon has the same one broken. I am afraid to try and fix it because i would hate for all the bolts to break off while trying to fix the one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

exhaust leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: exhaust leak   exhaust leak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

exhaust leak
Page 1 of 1