GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Exhaust Suggestions

Go down 
+5
TheRoadmasterKing
Rev Bob
jayoldschool
94Woody
AlbertRoadmaster
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AlbertRoadmaster

Exhaust Suggestions  Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 11:10 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 1995 Buick Roadmaster wagon this spring as the mufflers are starting to rust out. My initial plan was to replace the intermediate pipe and over the axle pipe with stock pipes from Walker Exhaust, then replace the mufflers with Flowmaster 40 or 44 series. However it is difficult to find a muffler that has a 2.25 inch inlet and 2.00 inch outlet, I would also like to find over the axle pipes without resonators.
So now after doing some research it looks like the best option is to get a 2.25 inch over the axle pipe? Let me hear what you all have done on your cars and, if possible where you bought your pipes. Any tips on the actual replacement process would be appreciated as I plan to do this myself.
-James
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am

Simple. Don't go with the stock diameters Wink

I put the Dynomax 2 1/2 intermediate pipes on my wagons. They are a direct drop in and fit perfectly. Can even reuse your stock flanges if they are in good shape. After that I installed a pair of 2 1/2 Thrush Welded Mufflers in the stock locations. On my former wagon I modded the Dynomax sedan OTA pipes. On my current wagon I just used the proper reducers to retain the stock OTA/tails minus the resonators. Mas be removing them soon and just running turn downs at the muffler.

As for new mufflers on stock pipes they make adapters for pretty much every size of pipe on earth Smile
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Or, keep the factory stainless pipes, and simply swap in some new mufflers.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 2:49 pm

The Borla front pipes and muffler system for an SS Impala works perfectly from the cats (or cat eliminator pipe) to the front of the axle. With a little trimming on the factory resonator pipes and some stainless band clamps, a really nice system with a crossover can be installed. This system uses mandrel bent pipes and eliminates the smashed area by the transmission crossmember.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Back to top Go down
AlbertRoadmaster

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those options.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 am

atlantadan wrote:
FWIW, the Flowbastards will drone so bad you'll want to pull your ears off.
Avoiding the 40 series will help with the drone.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 10:51 am

Hold up, really? I didn't know that. Once I become a wagon owner, planning ahead, some 40 or super 44 series mufflers were going to be one of my first mod ideas. Should I end up using some Cherry Bomb vortexes instead?
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

A little late but, currently running the Vortexes, and loving them. Much quieter than the Dynomax Ultras, but still more rumbly than the factory muffs. Got em cheap as an open box return from Amazon 22.50 a piece for the offset 2.25/2.25 version

I dunno what's with these cars but they seem to enjoy droning. No drone right now, and the missus and I are happy.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm

rauldelp wrote:
A little late but, currently running the Vortexes, and loving them. Much quieter than the Dynomax Ultras, but still more rumbly than the factory muffs. Got em cheap as an open box return from Amazon 22.50 a piece for the offset 2.25/2.25 version

I dunno what's with these cars but they seem to enjoy droning. No drone right now, and the missus and I are happy.

If possible could you send me a clip of the sound of the Vortexes? I have tried looking on YouTube but I have not found any videos of a RMW with Vortexes
Back to top Go down
Eds rmw

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 pm

I have flowmaster 44's, on my 95 ,everything else is the stock system , even the resonators. Sounds nice, no drone, not loud. It has a nice rumble to it.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 am

My current set up is muffler delete,with a x-pipe,rest is factory. Turns heads without be annoying.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 3:39 pm

I replaced the stock HUGE mufflers with Flowmaster 40's...years ago.  They still look new (Texas) and I think it sounds great.   I left the stock resonators, and first sanded the stock tips and then used steel wool followed by Mother's polish, and they look great. No drone, nice on the highway but a great rumble when revved or taking off.    

Of course my 15-year-old says the car is too quiet....   Wink

Here's a link, tell me what you think: https://www.facebook.com/mike.massey.543/videos/vb.1553678810/10203934798121009/?type=3

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Not the LT1, but still makes the little peanut cammed L05 sound halfway decent
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Both of your wagons sound amazing. Love both them.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 am

Sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
AlbertRoadmaster

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitimeTue May 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the Flowmaster 40s and replace the resonators. Hopefully this will prevent the drone. Once again, thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Suggestions    Exhaust Suggestions  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Suggestions
Page 1 of 1