GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

water pump on LT1

Go down 
+4
phantom 309
Sprocket
dmg4
frederickflintstone
8 posters
AuthorMessage
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm

last fall I went on aggressive flushing campaign in order to get the heat working better. in the process I developed a leak dead center in the front of the engine. I assume it is the water pump. How difficult is it to replace the water pump on the LT1? does the opti-spark have to come out?

any tips or tricks?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 pm

I'd check the hose connections at the pump first for drips, unless you see coolant leaking from the gasket or shaft.

It's not difficult to replace the pump, and it's not necessary to touch the Optispark in the process. Even I did it without a screw up.

Does yours have the clutch driven metal fan or electric fans?
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 pm

dmg4 wrote:
I'd check the hose connections at the pump first for drips, unless you see coolant leaking from the gasket or shaft.

It's not difficult to replace the pump, and it's not necessary to touch the Optispark in the process.  Even I did it without a screw up.

Does yours have the clutch driven metal fan or electric fans?

I believe it has both fans, I know it has the engine driven fan. pretty sure it is not a hose, but of course I will check before i order parts.
I am glad I dont have to remove the opti-spark.
I will check it out more when the weather warms up.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

It's pretty easy. If your Opti cap and rotor has NOT been replaced, 145K would be a good time to do it. just the cap and rotor. It's right there once the water pump is off.... just saying
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 am

Sprocket wrote:
It's pretty easy.   If your Opti cap and rotor has NOT been replaced, 145K would be a good time to do it.  just the cap and rotor.   It's right there once the water pump is off....  just saying

thanks, I cant remember if I did that or not.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am

Sprocket wrote:
It's pretty easy.   If your Opti cap and rotor has NOT been replaced, 145K would be a good time to do it.  just the cap and rotor.   It's right there once the water pump is off....  just saying

Let sleeping dogs lie,.. i'm just saying
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 2:51 pm

frederickflintstone wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd remember if you did.
if you do pull the WP, make sure you replace the seal.
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 am

jasonlachapelle wrote:
frederickflintstone wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd remember if you did.
if you do pull the WP, make sure you replace the seal.

what seal are you speaking of?
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 4:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
waterpump and optispark seal. Found in Felpro timing cover gasket kit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
homemade tool to install seal

you can watch this video to see how it's done: http//www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/250397-96-impala-camshaft-optispark-seals-replace-video-3.html
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 1:30 pm

Having trouble freeing the old water pump. I'm pretty sure I have all the bolts out, but it's not budging. Is there a hard to spot bolt somewhere? I am using the new pump to identify where the old bolts should be.

Going to be late for work tonight already.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

At the top of the photos you see two non-threaded locating pins. These are needed because of the way the pump is driven. They may have become corroded. Try using your favorite penetrating oil elixir on them.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 pm

I think I found the problem on live. There is an air pump bracket I was unaware of that needs to come off. Will not get back to it till saturday. Hope the u-tube guy is right
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 11:44 am

Yes, you need to pull the air pump bracket. The stud it is mounted to is also a bolt for the water pump. There are THREE on each side.

Isurf likes this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 4:02 pm

New pump was driving me crazy. Turns out one of the alignment holes for the pins was undersize. Trying to find an 11/32 drill bit to enlarge it. Guessing at the size. the old holes were between 5/16 and 3/8 as measured with drill bits. Neither bit fits in the small alignment hole. Gasket cement is all dried up, so I guess I will be using form-a-gasket instead.

Was planning to do cap and rotor while I was in there. No longer have the time for that.

Finally running again. Wagonfest odds are improving. Broke a vacuum connection but it's alive again
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 10:02 am

I know not the issue you had, but adding in for others that are having an issue getting the WP off after removing all the bolts. My 94 sat for a few years and where the drive gear went into the WP, it corroded together and froze. I ended up breaking the spindle on the drive gear getting the old pump off (too much crow bar) and had to take off the timing cover and replace the gear (someone on ISSF was nice enough to mail me one for free). So be careful!
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 pm

One of my problems was the holes for the alignment pin were too small and had to be drilled out. It took a long time to figure that out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

water pump on LT1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: water pump on LT1   water pump on LT1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water pump on LT1
Page 1 of 1