GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Empty
PostSubject: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 1:26 pm

A car-friend asked me to take a long-distance look at this 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon and give my opinion. In general, the mileage is fantastic and the condition of the paint and interior makes me believe that the miles are correct. It's a tow-pack car too. The asking price is on the higher-side (but not horrible, as these have been going up in value the past few years, especially clean original cars). I've seen low-mile cars with as-high and much-higher asking prices.

BUT in blowing up the pics from this listing, the underside of this car is REALLY CRUSTY. To a Texan like me, it looks horrifying, and points to the BIG differences between northern and southern/western cars. Our cars here in Texas or often faded and have warped/cracked interiors, faded paint and burned trim, but the undersides look like the cars were almost just built. Guys up north guys have cars like this that look GREAT on top, but the undersides are flat ROTTEN.

The driveshaft is CRUSTY, floorpans show corrosion, and fuel tank straps look poor. The frame itself is crusty, and I would be leery of rotten fuel and brake lines, frozen shock bolts, and other rust-related nightmares. The underside is also covered in oil, as is the underhood area, and I know that is how folks up north prevent or try to prevent rust there, but because it's so oily it's difficult to tell just how horrible the rust REALLY is, and if the car is leaking any fluids in the normal places.

It looks like it may have rust on the front inner wheel-wells, especially where the coolant bottle bolts to the fender. You would want to check the area under the battery, and also on the driver's-side inner wheel well, which is another commong spot for rust.
Also you would want to check the area behind the rear wheel-wells, as rust is VERY common there, and in the spare tire well area. And the metal lines for the transmission cooler in front of the radiator have both been replaced with rubber hoses. Can be seen clearly in one pic. I'm guessing they rusted out...which amazes me, but I understand happens on northern wagons.

SO my final assessment is that it is a TOTAL CRYING SHAME that this low-mileage and very attractive, well-optioned car is such a rust-bucket on the undersides. I bet it still runs and drives well, and feels nice and tight when you close the doors and such, but the rust will make repairs much harder, and you will have body/structural issues on this car. $8K is frankly, to me, insane for a car that looks that poorly on the undersides....it's a $3K car max to me. Again really SAD because with those miles the drivetrain should have years left. Salt...sucks. https://www.duncanmotorcar.com/1996_Buick_Roadmaster_Buffalo_NY_23002727.veh

49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212110
49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212111
49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212112
49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212113
49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212115
49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 11212114

Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Looks like someone may have coated the underside to cover up rust. Dealers do shady stuff. Car was likely left outside its whole life, or sitting in a damp garage. Humidity is an issue here. It's typical for the uncoated bare steel parts to develop a rust scale quite quickly up here. But that car shows neglect. I bet that thing showed up at the auction covered in mold/mildew and the dealer just detailed the hell out of it hoping for a quick buck.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Cheap replacement exhaust pipes on that rusty 8k car, too.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 11:31 am

Glad they rustproofed the oil filter and the catalytic converter too.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 pm

lol, imaging what this thing smells like after a 20 mile test drive? Tar, and tears.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Dead giveaway in picture 25:  I wonder if those snow tires come with it.

49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York 1121218584
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York   49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

49K-mile '96 Roadmaster Wagon in New York
Page 1 of 1