GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The White Elephant engine swap project

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

The White Elephant engine swap project Empty
PostSubject: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am

I started to replace the engine and transmission in October. I ran into numerous roadblocks to the install. Sickness, injury, weather, and about anything else you can put in there. I do not have a step by step for the install.

I finally got the trans and mutt Vortec engine in the car at the beginning of February. On the first start up, I had a running issue. I swapped the TBI adapter, and the issue continued. It is a vacuum leak. I finally researched it, and I believe it is an intake gasket issue. There is only one recommended intake gasket that is supposed to guarantee a good seal...FP 980000. I, as per standard operating procedure, did not use that gasket set. By the time I found out about the "good gasket set", I had a week and a half to get it running for Wagonfest FL. I had a choice, I could swap the intake gaskets, and HOPE that is the only issue, or put the old engine, that there is nothing wrong with, back in. Because I did not know for sure that the gaskets would fix the issue, I chose to swap the old engine back in. The old LO5 fought me every step of the way. It is far easier to remove the engine, and trans than to just pull the engine. Considering the vacuum leak, I do not suggest putting a carb plate on a Vortec engine when installing it. That could be one cause of the leak, because the bolts for the manifold are tightened to only 11 lb.ft. The bolts are at both ends of the manifold, and the center can flex a little, or the manifold could even bend/warp when lifting that much weight. I may reinstall the mutt engine after I get the gaskets replaced. I will also check the intake for warps at the flanges.

So now I have a relatively new trans, and the old LO5 from a 93 RMS. I did end up with shorty headers and a cold air intake on the LO5. It has plenty of pep for a 175K LO5.

I was supposed to be in Daytona Friday 3/22 about 10:30. Well, that did not happen. I finally got the engine buttoned up at about 1:00 Friday, and took off for Daytona (with no testing). Shifting from first to second was at about 3500 RPM, and was harsh. I realized that I had not set the kick down cable, pulled over at a rest stop, and remedied it with a big screwdriver. What was normally a 2 1/2 hour drive was a 4-4 1/2 hour beep and creep.

I did get to enjoy the rest of Wagonfest, and the car show on Saturday, and Sunday. We had a great steak dinner, and got to park in the "club" section of the show.

I am getting an SES light after about a half hour of driving, and have not had the time to check the code. Once I get the AC sorted out, I will check the code. My first and second guess is O2 sensor, or EGR solenoid. I also found a leak at the new thermostat housing on the LO5.

Yesterday I was doing a few tiding up chores including recharging the AC, and got a no go when the compressor locked up about 30 seconds into the refill. Fortunately, I have a spare compressor. I will check the system for evidence of black death, and maybe I can just replace the compressor.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 11:24 am

It's all about the adventure Smile
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Isn't that the fun of the car hobby and keeping older vehicles on the road! Cool
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 pm

When you are 70 it gets to be a little bit of a chore sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 8:40 am

As a followup on the AC, I ended up replacing the rubber hoses, compressor, orifice tube, and the condenser. The "nut" on the condenser would not turn on the tube, and twisted the tube off. I picked the parts from cars that had good AC systems, and I also picked a really nice stock LO5 style radiator. I cleaned everything, put oil in the compressor, then assembled all of it. I vacuumed it and filled it with 134a, and it is capable of 48 deg. at the vents. My electronic HVAC works great, and now I only have a few more things to fix.

I will probably get the Starship back late this month, and then I will fiddle around with the mutt engine again.
Back to top Go down
Joe B.

Joe B.

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2019 9:02 am

Fred, That is the embodiment of a wagon enthusiast. I feel like a laggard by comparison.
Maybe your projects will help to motivate me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The White Elephant engine swap project   The White Elephant engine swap project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The White Elephant engine swap project
Page 1 of 1