GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mystery part

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
rcktpwrd
awild
7 posters
AuthorMessage
awild

awild

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

This part on my new-to-me '94 RMW was badly bent and tends to bottom out, so I'm trying to decide what to do about it. The first question though: what is this?
Mystery part Img-2111
Mystery part Img-2210

It's mounted on the exhaust support, roughly under the passenger seat. It's not providing any additional support, and I have no idea what the tube/cylindrical part is for - it doesn't touch anything, and no wires lead to it.
I did find the part in a picture in a Haynes manual, so it's definitely original. In that picture the tube section is horizontal, while on my car the thing was so badly bent that it was almost vertical.

I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything.
Any ideas? thanks!
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 8:55 pm

My guess would be that it is probably some sort of noise/vibration dampener...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 10:36 pm

I believe it is a counterweight to make it easier to level the cat back pipe. It may also be as said above, a noise/vibration damper. The TBI cars do not have the above part.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 3:44 pm

It is a factory damper. It can be removed without issue.
Back to top Go down
awild

awild

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 am

Thanks guys! appreciate the help.

jayoldschool wrote:
It is a factory damper.  It can be removed without issue.

Jay - do you mean a vibration damper? and what makes you say it can be removed without issue?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 am

It is a tuned damper weight that eliminates a droning noise at certain RPMs. It no longer functions if the exhaust system has been modified from the factory configuration.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 am

I'd removed mine and ended up re-installing it, and have even considered getting one for the other side (Caddy Fleetwoods used one on each side for added smoothness).

Wrote about it in this thread: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t14208-new-flowmaster-fx-magnaflow-style-straight-through-mufflers

I could not imagine it made a difference, but it really did!
Back to top Go down
awild

awild

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 am

Glad to know what it is. Mike, after reading your thread I'll keep them off for a while, then reinstall and listen for the difference. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 pm

You won't notice a difference. Mike is just super duper OCD and knowing that they weren't there was just too much for him Wink
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 5:01 pm

awild wrote:
Thanks guys! appreciate the help.

jayoldschool wrote:
It is a factory damper.  It can be removed without issue.

Jay - do you mean a vibration damper? and what makes you say it can be removed without issue?

Yes. A vibration damper. That is what a damper does by definition. Dampens vibrations. Note that it is not a "dampener", that just makes things damp, lol.

How can I say removal is no issue? 20 years of running without...
Back to top Go down
awild

awild

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2019 12:02 am

jayoldschool wrote:

Yes.  A vibration damper.  That is what a damper does by definition.  Dampens vibrations.  Note that it is not a "dampener", that just makes things damp, lol.

How can I say removal is no issue?  20 years of running without...

Got it. I was trying (and failing) to ask whether it's there to dampen vibrations which might do damage over time, versus just sound. But in any case, after your answer and the others I'm definitely keeping it off unless and until I hear any new and unpleasant sounds.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mystery part Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery part   Mystery part Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery part
Page 1 of 1