GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replaced AC compressor, will not engage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Empty
PostSubject: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Compressor on my SS locked up awhile ago.  Happened when I was topping up system after winter storage.  So, when I was working on it last fall, I swapped out the compressor for what I thought was a good used/rebuilt one.  Pulley free wheels fine, I can grab the clutch and turn over the compressor without issue.  Connector is plugged in.  I did new rear seals.

Vacuumed out the system (I have a pump and gauges).  It pulled down to negative 30 inches, and held for a few hours without moving.  Great, no leaks.  Time to fill.  Started car, turned on AC, connected a can and the vacuum pulled some in right away.  Compressor did not start.

Double checked fuses.  Disconnected the low pressure switch connector off the accumulator.  Jumped it.  Compressor does not start.  I do hear the engine increase slightly in RPM, so I'm sure the PCM is getting the AC on command.  I've never had one that DIDN'T start with the jumper wire.

Any ideas for me?  Am I missing something?  Or, is it just "take it apart again and throw another compressor in there"...

Re-reading Sprocket's threads, I wondered if I got the new type of self-sealing cans. Then I realized that wouldn't matter, the compressor would start by the jumper anyways.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 pm

AC relay?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Pulled it, re-seated. Didn't matter, I went back out, and checked for voltage at the AC connector. Full voltage when the car is on, AC on, pressure connector jumped. So, the car is telling the compressor to start. But it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Sounds like the windings in the clutch have gone the way of Pontiac. Check for continuity across the windings. If memory serves, there is also a diode in this circuit. If that is open, then no power to the windings.

Bill
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 am

Maybe the clutch gap is too wide. It should be about the width of a business card folded in half.

Apply 12v to the compressor (eg: jumper the relay socket). Tap the front of the clutch. If the clutch will pull in and hold then the gap is too wide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced AC compressor, will not engage   Replaced AC compressor, will not engage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replaced AC compressor, will not engage
Page 1 of 1