GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rear wiper not wiping properly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
goldwolfnhn

rear wiper not wiping properly Empty
PostSubject: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Not sure if it's just the way the rmw's are but after I got mine I had to put a new rear wiper blade on as the previous owner had one zip tied on and everytime the arm moved the steel frame of the blade was scratching the rear window.

But with me living here in Wisconsin I put a beam style wiper on instead of a conventional one( beams never freeze solid), and now just a couple days ago put another new beam style blade on but for both of them they don't seem to make good enough contact at the center of the blade and as the wiper gets to the lower part of the liftgate the bottom edge of the wiper seems to also lift, so was just wondering if this is normal, or if I have to use older conventional style wiper blades, or do I have to replace the tension spring in the wiper arm or just the wiper arm as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 pm

I use regular blades, and have no issues with the rear wiper.

There are no adjustments for tension.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 am

The actual correct wiper blade is still available under the original part number. It is listed for a different application, but is identical to the original GM part.

22101870 Amazon is one source.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 7:30 am

if it needs a conventional blade it's probably the same wiper blade as my trucks, I just was hoping that someone else here had experience with this issue to say for absolute certainty that the problem was me using beam wipers, or if the spring that puts tension on the wiper arm to keep it against the window had just fatigued.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 am

The springs in the wiper arms are notoriously weak.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2023 11:42 am

The AC Delco 22101870 appears to have been discontinued. Has anyone experience with the wiping ability and noise of the following tow?

Bosch Excel + 16": https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/excel/bosch-excel-16-inch-wiper-blade/bosk/41916/v/a/2712/automotive-car-1996-buick-roadmaster?q=rear+window+wiper+blade+16&pos=0

AC Delco 8-9016 16": https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/acdelco/acdelco-16-inch-windshield-wiper-blade/acd0/89016/v/a/2712/automotive-car-1996-buick-roadmaster?q=rear+window+wiper+blade+16&pos=2

I have Bosch Pure Vision 22in blades on my FWB, and like them -- I'd go for the Excel at the rear, but the ACDelco 8-9016 looks more like the Pure Visions.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2023 2:31 pm

I found what the issue was, a previous owner had for some reason ground off one of the heads of the rivet that the wiper arm pivots on, so the arm was binding, replaced the rivet with a bolt and now the arm provides good force keeping the beam style blade tight to the window.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear wiper not wiping properly   rear wiper not wiping properly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear wiper not wiping properly
Page 1 of 1