GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adapter to replace power antenna

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

Adapter to replace power antenna Empty
PostSubject: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 am

1991 OCC with (surprise!) broken power antenna. All replacement antennas, whether power or fixed mast, do not adapt to the existing antenna lead wire. Replacing to the lead cable involves not only radio removal but disassembly of dash board.

If you need to replace your antenna but want to leave existing lead cable, Metra 40-GM18 adapter is the way to go. One end accepts a typical antenna lead wire and the other has a female spring loaded Motorola end. The part is not well known but can be found online by searching for the part number. It can be listed as Metra or Antennaworks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 pm

I have a repairable OEM antenna. It has a good mast. The mast is the impossible part to find. I bought the last new one that was available, and used it. You can find a good motor in almost any power antenna around the same era, and the cables are still available from antennasareus.com.

Aftermarket head units usually require a patch cable as well.
Back to top Go down
91rdmastr

PostSubject: Re: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey guys...as far as I know my entire stereo system is all stock. I haven't pulled my door panels yet...all my speakers work and don't make crackling noises. My question is...what size speakers will I need to upgrade my doors and in the back? I have 2 12" Memphis subs that will be going in.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 am

The rears are 6X9, and the fronts are about 4X6s (may be 2X4).

The only way you can put 12" subs is to empty the spare well, and the storage in the rear, or put them in the 3rd row foot well.

You may be able to stuff a 4X4 in the front doors, if you make special mounts, and clearance the doors.

The 6X9s in the back sit in too shallow of a spot for larger speakers.
Back to top Go down
91rdmastr

PostSubject: Re: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 11:36 pm

Thanks Fred! I have an extra pair of both sizes and my 12"s are in a speaker box. The subs were in my extended cab pickup hooked up to a 1000 watt Kenwood amp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adapter to replace power antenna   Adapter to replace power antenna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adapter to replace power antenna
Page 1 of 1