GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering overhaul

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Since work has been slow I took a long weekend so I can get some stuff done to my wagon. Some parts have been waiting at least 2 years, lol.

Decided that I need to take care of the whining PS pump and everything else in the system. First I had to put my driveway down so I'm not laying in sand and rocks.

Steering overhaul JiOhoxN

Steering overhaul 4B45b3j

This thing needs a paint job VERY bad Sad anyways...

New Pump from Summit.

Steering overhaul 6ieTKSR

New hoses from Rock Auto. Went with the one that has a "cooler" made with it.

Steering overhaul YMjelMP

New Borgeson gearbox from Summit.

Steering overhaul KiXyxer

Today was cool and raining so I won't get started on actual work until tomorrow morning.

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Will also be getting rid of those darn 18" wheels.

Doing a cooling system flush as well and installing a new coolant reservoir. They finally have cheap repops on eBay. $56 shipped to my door in 3 days.

Steering overhaul EblCqFV

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 pm

That takes care of most of the steering system anyway as long as all the linkages are good.

What prompted the replacement of the coolant reservoir?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
That takes care of most of the steering system anyway as long as all the linkages are good.

What prompted the replacement of the coolant reservoir?

Did a complete suspension overhaul a couple years ago so all of that is good. After this everything will be new(er) than the 210,xxx on the odometer.

Current reservoir is a dirty brown mess that cleaned once before. Since the new one was so cheap and I'm completely flushing the system I figured, why not. When I got the car in 2017 it had a bad water pump and the radiator was full of aluminum. I replaced the pump and told myself I would flush it "later" and here am I'm finally doing it, lol. Working on big nasty trucks every day makes me lazy when it comes to working on my own junk.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 pm

The mechanic usually drives "junk", the plumbers faucet drips, the cook eats TV dinners - I get it Smile

If you're willing to put the old one in a box, I'll pay shipping +. I'm trying to figure out what the inside of that thing looks like with all the baffles and such. Having trouble purging my cooling system and want to know where I need to drill/tap a bleed valve or which compartment I need to un-isolate so it can burp without needing a bib all the time.

Hate to cut up a good one, but can't seem to find any "bad" ones around either.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 8:33 am

Fix Until Broke wrote:
The mechanic usually drives "junk", the plumbers faucet drips, the cook eats TV dinners - I get it Smile

If you're willing to put the old one in a box, I'll pay shipping +.  I'm trying to figure out what the inside of that thing looks like with all the baffles and such.  Having trouble purging my cooling system and want to know where I need to drill/tap a bleed valve or which compartment I need to un-isolate so it can burp without needing a bib all the time.

Hate to cut up a good one, but can't seem to find any "bad" ones around either.

That will be no problem at all. I still have the box the new one came in. It will make a perfect guinea pig.

Would be nice if you could figure a way to set it up like the reservoir used on current Mack/Volvo trucks. Non vented cap on one side with a vent on the other side.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 8:37 am

Awesome - fixuntilbroke at gmail and we'll sort out the particulars.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
Awesome - fixuntilbroke at gmail and we'll sort out the particulars.
I have it boxed up. Will email you tomorrow.

Today I got the box mounted. Dropped in perfectly, no dealing with rebuilt parts store garbage.

Steering overhaul HtxJzbU

Steering overhaul 1MBTPLs

Steering overhaul MmCC94M

Funny how my factory original box has the mythical "Z" cast into that folks say is only found on quick ratio Impala boxes. This box is anything but quick ratio.

Steering overhaul LZ07Ibs

BAD_WAG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jdeshler

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:43 pm

I did this job a few years back when I got my wagon, I HATED it lol Laughing

Looks good brother Basketball
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Jdeshler wrote:
I did this job a few years back when I got my wagon, I HATED it lol Laughing

Looks good brother Basketball

Thank you.

It wasn't too bad of a job. I work on large diesel vehicles though and this was a walk in the park compared to any day at work, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering overhaul Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering overhaul   Steering overhaul Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering overhaul
Page 1 of 1