GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Going hunting for a Class III hitch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oldsbattlecruiser

Going hunting for a Class III hitch Empty
PostSubject: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 am

Hey all!  I'm planning to head to the local salvage yards hunting for a Class III hitch for my wagon.  As I've never pulled one off a B-Body before, can anybody recommend a tool list of what to bring?  Are there any exhaust hangers in the way, etc?  Just want to be sure I have on hand what I need aside from the sockets.  Thanks in advance for your answers.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 7:25 am

Big Hammer and a cordless sawzall are always good tools to bring to a salvage yard, even if only searching for fuses Smile

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 am

Doubt you will find one but good luck anyways.

Could always save yourself the hassle of searching though. http://kds-performance.com/91-96-hitch-assembly-and-hardware-kit/

HendersonRacing514 likes this post

Back to top Go down
oldsbattlecruiser

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2020 2:58 am

I see three wagons listed in the inventory of a yard near me.  Couldn't hurt to look.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 4:32 pm

You mean like the one I have on my car?
This is a class 4 hitch. Why stop at class 3?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjVREekxPQ6fxg1Z6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/887syPE1G3Zi8RJq6

They must have made them at one time.
This one bolts to the frame at 4 places on both side. 8 attachment points.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 5:34 pm

I probable got the last of the non kit, or his previous put together hitches, made in 2013 when I got the RMW. I looked all over for used or new, basically anything with a 2" receiver and found nothing. Finally, in a remote and old link to U-haul they listed one and the link still worked so I just ordered it to see what would happen. It took like two months to get because they had to check if their source would build one, but they were able to get it. Very nice frame mount style with the one not inside the frame rail on each side. Don't know if U-haul may be able to tell you who made theirs, as they may still be able to do a one off. I think the shipping box said it came from Michigan, but not certain.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 5:38 pm

https://www.draw-tite.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-iii-iv-hd-receiver/class-iii-trailer-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf2jJgWHWM5lTuc2xVPwV6u3

What about this class 3 hitch for Roadmaster made by DrawTite? Product number is 41509

Year Make / Model / Style Install Time Drill
1991 - 1996 Buick, Roadmaster Estate Wagon, All Styles 40 minutes
1991 - 1996 Chevrolet, Caprice, Wagon 40 minutes
1991 - 1992 Oldsmobile, Custom Cruiser, Wagon 40 minutes

http://www.performancecenter.com/item/56318-draw-tite-41509-class-3-max-e-loader-receiver-with-2-inch-receiver-tube-opening
Price is $213
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Lots of places still show them available, but multiple forum posts would indicate they were discontinued around 2011. Everyone did the special order thing, so not stocked, and that seems to make the website updates not happen.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 7:35 pm

You are NOT going to find a new one anywhere because they have been discontinued for a long time.

Not long ago Uhaul had a sale on the smaller hitches, I have one in the shed, but they are all gone as well.

Have to get whatever KDS has available these days or find a good used one that the seller doesn't want an arm and a leg for.
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 5:44 am

I also have 2 of the smaller class 2 hitches. Do they fit other cars?
What can they be sold for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going hunting for a Class III hitch   Going hunting for a Class III hitch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going hunting for a Class III hitch
Page 1 of 1