GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SS wheels or Riddler

Go down 
+6
94Woody
booster
jayoldschool
Fix Until Broke
Rev Bob
HendersonRacing514
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

SS wheels or Riddler Empty
PostSubject: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Alright, I need some enthusiasts’ input. I currently have some nice riddler wheels that came on my wagon when I got it. Tires are dry rotted and showing bands on one tire. I love the tire design and it is almost what I would have chosen for the wagon but not exactly... they are 18’s and just slightly too big. I’m considering switching to the ss wheels and selling my current wheels. A member here just posted a really nice set with rubber that should last at least a few years.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t15164-ss-wheels-for-sale

Is it more trouble than it’s worth? I have a brother in law in Milwaukee that could handle the pickup. Im just not sure if the swap is worth it.

What do y’all think?? Attached is my current look and a couple of internment pics of wagons w/ ss wheels.
Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:12 pm

SS wheels or Riddler 6d15eb10
SS wheels or Riddler 64495c10
SS wheels or Riddler 0aa7b810

Andebe and Pubtramp like this post

Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:21 pm

ss wheels
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 pm

New tires on the wheels you have

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 8:06 pm

New tires on your wheels.

Wojtek and Pubtramp like this post

Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 10:41 am

What are y’all’s thoughts on the era correctness and originality/factory look of the ss wheels over the riddler? That was a big consideration for me. Other than due to wheel weight, I cant imagine the handling/ride being drastically different given I’m putting the same tires on it either way.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 11:29 am

HendersonRacing514 wrote:
What are y’all’s thoughts on the era correctness and originality/factory look of the ss wheels over the riddler? That was a big consideration for me. Other than due to wheel weight, I cant imagine the handling/ride being drastically different given I’m putting the same tires on it either way.

Personally, I would take the SS wheels any day as I prefer a bit more vintage look on the wagons, especially if they are stock height and with original features like woodgrain. Another, call it lazy if you wish, factor for me would be the SS wheels have less open area.  My interest in trying to keep old school cast iron suspension parts and brake drums looking decent because they show through the wheel openings disappeared a long time ago.

We looked at wheels, other wagons, pix, etc for a long time before we found something that seemed to fit our tastes.  Definitely got tired of Torque Thrusts on most of the stuff we saw.  We might have gone with SS wheels if they made new repops for reasonable cost, but then finally found what we liked on a wagon for right look.

SS wheels or Riddler New_bu15

SS wheels or Riddler New_bu16

17" aluminum repop rally wheels with repop early Corvette style metal center caps with ebay Buick logos added.

Andebe and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 1:33 pm

I haven’t seen the rallies on many wagons. Very original and cool! I actually like the torque thrusts a lot and kind of wanted a crieger, but the 18 is just too big for me.

On the other hand, hard to argue with what ‘cha got on a tight budget.

Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 2:30 pm

I haven’t seen the rallies on many wagons. Very original and cool! I actually like the torque thrusts a lot and kind of wanted a crieger, but the 18 is just too big for me.

On the other hand, hard to argue with what ‘cha got on a tight budget.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, paid $121 each plus $20 for the center and $1 for the logo per wheel so were a bargain way to get into 17" aluminum in something we liked besides. No expensive chrome lugs needed either.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Like I said on the other site, just say NO to SS wheels.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 pm

I like your current wheels and I like SS wheels.

If the tire size you're using on the current wheels is common, I'd go that route. 255/50/17 is tough to get on short notice and we are down to three choices (unless you count the Hankook pickup tires).

275/50/17 is the only other 17" tire size I've run on one of my wagons. Just was not happy with how it rubbed when turning. And now I've looked and that size is even rarer than the 255s.
Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2020 11:28 pm

94Woody, why are you so against SS wheels? Seen them too much? Quality? Most people seem to not mind them even if they don’t think they are better than what I have.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Too many people toss them on their wagon. Plus I'm in the minority, I don't like how they look.

Pubtramp likes this post

Back to top Go down
clarence90

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 10:02 pm

SS wheels or Riddler 6d15eb10
SS wheels or Riddler 64495c10
SS wheels or Riddler 0aa7b810

Can I just say that I really like the wooden accent in this car?

HendersonRacing514 likes this post

Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 9:03 am

Sure can! Haha I personally think its one of the best color combos. I have the light blue interior as well.
Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 am

Also, I’ve decided to stick with the wheels that I have. I may go with a taller sidewall on my tires when I get new ones. Right now they are 235/50r18. Im thinking about 55 or even 60’s on the side depending on availability.

94Woody and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am

Keep the same wheels and lower it. Then it'll be perfect. Beautiful ride, lowered or not.

HendersonRacing514 likes this post

Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am

Radio flyer: Maybe we will have to go cruising together next time I’m down in HHI/Savannah! I might be hard-pressed to convince the wife to take the wagon all the way there over Christmas break though haha!
Back to top Go down
RadioFlyer

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2020 11:22 am

Your wife and my wife seem to have the same opinion about our "wagons of a certain age." Very Happy But if you do get her on board I'd love to take the girls(and the wives) out for a cruise.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 am

Eons ago, Australian wheel maker ROH made Impala SS clone wheels. They were identical except for a fully machined lip. They are also 1/2" wider.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
Eons ago, Australian wheel maker ROH made Impala SS clone wheels. They were identical except for a fully machined lip. They are also 1/2" wider.

Had a neighbor who had those wheels on her '95 Impala SS. My memory is they came out before the '94 SS. She was at a restaurant sometime around '06 or '07. When she came out, her SS was gone and never seen again. Sad

Her husband had a white Caprice wagon with SS wheels on it. All four wheels got swiped one night while it was parked on the street. He replaced the wheels and parked it in the driveway. Also put a motion activated light on it. Woke up one night and interrupted people taking those wheels. I know the bad guys did not get all the wheels but I'm fuzzy on how many they did get. He then put less desirable wheels on the wagon.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Actually the original wheels on the 94 to 96 Impalas SS were made by ROH specifically for the Impala SS . Had a friend who bought one new and I liked the wheels he had some literature that he received with the car and that's where I got my information from he still has the car to this day .
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 am

Wojtek:

If your friend's wheels have a machined lip, they are ROH's aftermarket version.

The ones made to GM spec had a lip on the outside for conventional balancing weights.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Haven't seen the car for awhile but I do know that the wheels are original to the car I'll have to give it a close look next time I see it nice piece of information thanks !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SS wheels or Riddler   SS wheels or Riddler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SS wheels or Riddler
Page 1 of 1