GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Monster Transmission

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

Monster Transmission  Empty
PostSubject: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking at getting a TC and the transmission guy at my old job recommended them. I like that they are based here in Florida and their TCs are on sale right now
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 7:33 pm

I've heard good and bad. They are really expensive. There is a place in Jacksonville that builds custom transmissions. They are always advertising on Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 am

""There is a place in Jacksonville that builds custom transmissions.""

Paul Forte's TurboAction
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 am

Well I'm not really looking for a custom transmission just a torque converter I'm only going for 400hp
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 11:19 am

It's always good to buy local, because so many transmission problems are installer-dependent. Read the warranty very carefully. I've been around these cars for over 15 years and the difference between the rebuilders who know what they're doing and the ones that don't is if the 3-4 clutchpack lasts longer than 30k miles. So get a warranty that covers you longer than that.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Sherlock128 wrote:
Well I'm not really looking for a custom transmission just a torque converter I'm only going for 400hp

I also heard good and bad. I'm i the GMC motorhome world and the guy in Orlando that restores GMCs using them exclusively for the TH425 (Eldorado/toronado/GMC motorhome). I've heard other bad stories online.

Locally I dunno if they are still around but A&S transmission in Deerfield Beach. they did great work 20 years ago when I used them.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 1:02 pm

There is a trans shop here in Pinellas (Just Rite Transmissions) who will make your trans to whatever level you want it. They built the trans for my 454, and it works fine. I did get a custom TC from Circle D. You can order any level TC build from them, but they are not cheap.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 8:41 am

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll look around

I've also saw that some people use the s10 TC or do you think that if I am going to go through all that work I should put in a higher stall?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm

The stall speed of your TC should be determined by the idle, and camshaft. Look at your power curves, and you can determine what the stall rpm of the converter should be. I would use a little stronger TC for 400 HP. A stronger unit will cost you a bit more, but it will not break. Some of the aftermarket units should take 400 HP. The trans should be upgraded to handle the 400 HP as well.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock128

Sherlock128

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Now would it be better to build the 4l60 or just swap it out for something better? I'm not going to be doing any drag racing or anything its my daily
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 2:56 pm

With 400 HP the 4L60 can be built to handle it. Mine is built to handle over 500 HP. They can be built to handle 1000 hp. If you do not build it to the HP level it will be used at, it will shorten the life of the transmission, and possibly cause a catastrophic failure.

I hedged a little on the build I have, and after a year, the 1-2 shift missed at WOT on a couple of occasions...I can miss 2nd with a stick, I do not need an automatic to do it for me. I have since had that fixed, and now it does not miss shifts.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 10:41 pm

4L60E built correctly with parts appropriate for your application will last 200k miles no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Transmission    Monster Transmission  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monster Transmission
Page 1 of 1