GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SSR driveshaft questions

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
lamune
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

SSR driveshaft questions Empty
PostSubject: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 12:51 am

I came across a cheap SSR driveshaft, old stock in box, so of course I picked it up.

Anyone here using one of these?

First off I think I got the wrong one. Looks like the manual one is the one to get and this one appears to be the automatic version.

It's too wide to fit between the exhaust pipes. And it's too long to get into the yoke. I'm assuming then that the manual one is a bit shorter and actually drops in, but I see references online to switching out parts to make it fit. (maybe switching the trans pinion? not sure)

I have no pressing need to swap it out but it certainly looks cool! afro

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 10:42 am

You may be able to move the pipes outboard a little to get it between them. You can check the length by measuring then distace between universal caps and comparing it with the OEM unit. I have a Crown Vic shaft, and had it shortened by about an inch. Having a driveshaft shortened is not all that expensive. It cost me $125 for shortening, balance, and adapter universals. They reused the original front yoke.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 1:16 pm

forgive my ignorance, but whats the benefit to either the SSR driveshaft, or as fred has, the CV driveshaft over what our cars have now?

Serendipity96 and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 1:48 pm

1991BlueBertha wrote:
forgive my ignorance, but whats the benefit to either the SSR driveshaft, or as fred has, the CV driveshaft over what our cars have now?

Aluminum driveshaft. Less weight, stronger. Sometimes when upgrading the rear gears people run into problems with the stock shaft.

1991BlueBertha likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm

Balance is an issue as well, so have it balanced.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 4:12 pm

We build drive shafts at work. For everything from semi trucks to mud trucks to drag cars. Steel only though but if I ever need one I'll just build one Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 2:52 pm

lamune wrote:
I came across a cheap SSR driveshaft, old stock in box, so of course I picked it up.

Anyone here using one of these?

First off I think I got the wrong one. Looks like the manual one is the one to get and this one appears to be the automatic version.

It's too wide to fit between the exhaust pipes. And it's too long to get into the yoke. I'm assuming then that the manual one is a bit shorter and actually drops in, but I see references online to switching out parts to make it fit. (maybe switching the trans pinion? not sure)

I have no pressing need to swap it out but it certainly looks cool! afro

yep, they are different auto vs. manual. I also bought the wrong one. it was about half an inch too long. I had it shortened to 54.99" like the OE and balanced for about $250. It was tight but it fit in between the exhaust.

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 10:39 am

So it appears that the manual version is the one to get ? The reason I bring this up is we have a few wrecked SSRs at work and if anyone is interested in this upgrade I can check and see what they are .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SSR driveshaft questions   SSR driveshaft questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSR driveshaft questions
Page 1 of 1