GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question from first time buyer

Go down 
+10
95BRMW
sherlock9c1
MacMasterMike
buickwagon
Fred Kiehl
Gastt
Sprocket
cadillac kevin
silverfox103
K2013
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:39 am

The best way is to send pics, and let the buyer decide. Checking out a car is also jubject to the buyer verifying the information, and pics of critical points are a good verification. I personally do not like to take anyones word for anything. I need to see the proof.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:20 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Let me also say that snowbird cars DO pop up locally from time to time. I've seen a number of them here in Syracuse. Not often, but they do show up, and they are DEFINITELY worth waiting for.

I would also say that make sure whoever inspects the car for you sure better know what they are looking at. I've lost count of how many people I said "let me inspect the car BEFORE you buy it" and they just went ahead and bought it anyway. The worst was a '97 mercery Sable with plastic rocker panels. The buyer thought it was solid; when he came over to replace the rusted-out gas tank with me, we almost couldn't find a place to jack it up! I pulled out a 10" section of the unibody rail with my hand as I was poking around for a solid spot.

Whenever I buy a car, I always have it inspected (or at least crawl up under it with a light) prior to buying. When I was looking for a car (before buying my caddy) I looked at a very stripped down (vinyl bench, AM radio, 301 or 305 motor) 79 lesabre sedan with 80k miles. The car looked pretty good cosmetically. I took it to my mechanic and he put it on a lift. While the body was sound and fairly rust free, the rear end was leaking pretty bad, it needed all new shocks, steering bushings, tires, and brakes, the engine leaked pretty good out of all the lower seals, and it had a repaint many many years ago (mechanic noticed paint runs on the inside top lip of the fenders and a different shade showing through) which suggested the mileage wasn't true or that it may have been wrecked at one point. My mechanic estimated that it would need 2k in work to make it a reliable daily driver, so I passed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Even if you dont have a mechanic or lift,there is a easy way to check underneath.I just put my
digital camera on a 10 second delay and stick it under the car.Takes beautiful clear and detailed
pictures that show any rust and or damage!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I've done it twice and sold a couple.

If you buy in FL, You need to have insurance in hand when you buy the car (will need VIN upfront for ins, which you can then run a carfax on). You go to the DMV (so you have to come on a weekday) and tell them you are taking it out of state and they issue you a temp plate for a small fee ($15-20 or someting like that). YOu keep the titile and the temp registration and you are on your way.

PA was the same, So was SC. Now you are insured and registered for 21-30 days.

Honestly, I have to agree with your parents, unless you can talk Dad into coming along with his toolbox and have a nice father son vacation out of it. My son recently took his car across the state and I found myself driving 400 miles round trip after work to go help him out. Imagine that scenerio across a few states and you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
K2013

PostSubject: Reply   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes open and let you all know what I figure out.

::
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Sprocket wrote:

If you buy in FL, You need to have insurance in hand when you buy the car (will need VIN upfront for ins, which you can then run a carfax on). You go to the DMV (so you have to come on a weekday) and tell them you are taking it out of state and they issue you a temp plate for a small fee ($15-20 or someting like that). YOu keep the titile and the temp registration and you are on your way.

Honestly, I have to agree with your parents, unless you can talk Dad into coming along with his toolbox and have a nice father son vacation out of it. My son recently took his car across the state and I found myself driving 400 miles round trip after work to go help him out. Imagine that scenerio across a few states and you get the idea.
So if I luck out and that 96 10000 mile RMW is still around and I buy it,I cant come down with proof of insurance and plates in hand and go or is a DMV visit mandatory and would I have to pay sales tax in fla instead of Va?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 12:18 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

So if I luck out and that 96 10000 mile RMW is still around and I buy it,I cant come down with proof of insurance and plates in hand and go or is a DMV visit mandatory and would I have to pay sales tax in fla instead of Va?
Thanks
It depends on the date of sale on the title. If the title says you bought it more than 6 months prior to registering it, you do not have to pay sales tax anywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks Fred.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question from first time buyer   Question from first time buyer - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question from first time buyer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2