GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!

Go down 
+5
buickestate
sherlock9c1
toomanytoyz
Fred Kiehl
BigBlackBeaSSt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm

So yet another nagging little issue I have over looked for to long. The tailgate opens with the remote, but neither the key or the dash switch have any effect. Any idea's?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Have you checked for voltage at the connectors along the route to the gate? When you say that it will not open with the key, do you mean when you turn the key, or when you push the button? It may be the remote module. It appears that you are only getting power via the remote module, and the contacts for the "off" position of the relay in it may not be working, or have a bad/cold solder joint.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm

I thought turning the key in the popper on the gate moved the latch physically and popped it?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I thought turning the key in the popper on the gate moved the latch physically and popped it?

That is why I asked that question. to find out what he actually did. It was not clear, and it was necessary for the diagnosis.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 am

If I put the key in the rear cylinder and turn it will not open the glass.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 am

If you push the button, will the glass open?

When you turn the key, it rotates a bar directly to the window latch. The window latch should turn, and open unless there is a broken, or stuck part. The key also moves a set of rods to unlock the gate. I would have to see it in person to check the mechanism. There are a couple of wire clips that move in slots, and they break occasionally. They can block the action of the key in the lock. You should be able to push the button that the key fits into, to unlock the gate as well, provided that the car is unlocked.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If you push the button, will the glass open?

When you turn the key, it rotates a bar directly to the window latch. The window latch should turn, and open unless there is a broken, or stuck part. The key also moves a set of rods to unlock the gate. I would have to see it in person to check the mechanism. There are a couple of wire clips that move in slots, and they break occasionally. They can block the action of the key in the lock. You should be able to push the button that the key fits into, to unlock the gate as well, provided that the car is unlocked.

Fred and Bill, I appreciate the help.

Yes the latch turns and it will lock/unlock the door. Pushing the button on the tailgate or the dash will not open the glass.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

Get you VOM out and check for voltage at the connectors for the remote module first.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am

After market remote. Mine did not have.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

Well then I'm going to guess that the plastic finger on the latch the the button moves when depressed is broken off.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Ok so let start by saying, Embarassed I AM AN IDIOT!! Shocked As you may or may not know my car is a t56 car. When removing the lever from the column I (or Mike) simply pushed the pin out and did not remove the collar and fill the hole. If the collar moves a little the car thinks it is in gear and the tailgate will not pop. When they installed my remote they must not have accounted for this safety feature.

All fixed now. Sorry for the unnecessary fire drill and brain dump!! Thanks again Fred and Bill for the help!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm

You need 50 lashes with a wet noodle.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:13 pm

At least wire the latch safety to the parking brake so you can't pop it unless the parking brake is on. Given how much, how fast and how far you drive that car, I would not want that glass popping open on the highway 300 miles from home.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
At least wire the latch safety to the parking brake so you can't pop it unless the parking brake is on.

you are assuming that he actually remembers to use the parking brake, remember the garden shed incident?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 pm

LOL PAT!

Oh man.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm

buickestate wrote:
sherlock9c1 wrote:
At least wire the latch safety to the parking brake so you can't pop it unless the parking brake is on.

you are assuming that he actually remembers to use the parking brake, remember the garden shed incident?

Mad All the comedians come out of the woodwork!! Help me design a hand brake and I will call it even!! Are you coming down for Carlisle? Headers??
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Help me design a hand brake and I will call it even!!
Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Cd022_treasure_island_anchor Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Laughing ^^
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Cd022_treasure_island_anchor Smile

Is that a TBI car? Or just a Crown Vic?
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 pm

i told u that stub must go
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
i told u that stub must go

I know, but some of use HAVE to use our wagons other than for a dust collector..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm

oh no you didn't
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm

YOU KNOW I DID!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Keep with the existing theme. Woodgrain all the way:

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! $(KGrHqR,!joE4stP-7JEBOMvQ+s0mg~~0_35

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! LE-Custom-Made-Umbrella-Handles

So many choices...

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Wood_craft_handle_for_umbrella

My vote goes to:

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Img-thing?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Yet another funny guy!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 pm

My wagon doesn't need a parking brake. It's on blocks. So I poke fun at yours.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for the entertainment. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Thanks for the entertainment. Smile

Anything I can to help. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Is that a TBI car? Or just a Crown Vic?
Greg ,is that anchor offered with the automatic feature that activates whenever it senses any freestanding aluminum thats painted white or tan? lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! 50811

Question
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Right about now Tim is thinking why did I ever say anything about the shed accident?One thing is for sure,nothing is ever forgotten here and will ALWAYS be used as a way of reminding
you of your mistakes no matter how small or DUMB!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Oh. BRAKE, not BREAK.

My bad. I should probably clean my glasses.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 am

Stingroo wrote:
Oh. BRAKE, not BREAK.

My bad. I should probably clean my glasses.
You had better re-torque your wheels JR.!
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 6:29 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Ok so let start by saying, Embarassed  I AM AN IDIOT!!  Shocked  As you may or may not know my car is a t56 car.  When removing the lever from the column I (or Mike) simply pushed the pin out and did not remove the collar and fill the hole.  If the collar moves a little the car thinks it is in gear and the tailgate will not pop.  When they installed my remote they must not have accounted for this safety feature.  

All fixed now.  Sorry for the unnecessary fire drill and brain dump!!  Thanks again Fred and Bill for the help!!

holy ****. I am glad im spending my working hours looking through these old old threads..

my 91 has had an intermittent issue where the glass wouldnt open from the button press or the inside button.. but would open from the key. Guess what?? If I jiggled the gear shift a little higher it would work. So once in a while the shifter was towards the "lower" section of Park, if that makes sense... its in park and theres movement. But I just checked mine and it did the same thing... If i get it just right (or just wrong) it wont open electrically but will open with the manual key. Damn i'm glad I found this old thread.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 10:12 pm

You can adjust the neutral safety switch at the bottom of the column.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!   Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear window opens with remote but not key or dash switch HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1