GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buick OEM wheels???

Go down 
+10
1tireman
Krash Kadillak
Fred Kiehl
JaySS
sherlock9c1
Sprocket
Gastt
1993 Roady-man
81X11
Studebricker
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Studebricker

Studebricker

Buick OEM wheels??? Empty
PostSubject: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey guys, I am new but haven't seen this topic brought up -- maybe for a good reason.  But anyway, I was wondering if there were any new/recent Buick wheels out there (like say from a Lacrosse, Regal, or whatever) that is a 17" or 18" wheel that will fit a RMW.  

The thing is Buick does put some nice alloys on their new vehicles and so I thought "keeping it in the family" would help the rims to integrate more with the Buick look.  If they made our original alloys in a 17" rim I would keep them because I like the sort of turbine look.

I know a lot of you guys put the Impala wheels on RMWs, and that's fine, but to me, they just don't fit the style of the rest of the car.  I hope what I'm trying to say gets through.  I'm basically looking for something that fits the look of a Buick more -- but is a larger wheel, to gain access to more performance tire sizes.  Thanks much.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 3:27 pm

You will have offset issues, considering most are front-wheel-drive.

Find a set of chrome Buick Road Wheels. Those look fantastic on these cars.
Buick OEM wheels??? HPIM0536

Also, the aluminum wheels used on the 80's boxy wagons are super-sharp and look somewhat "correct", but they are hard to find now.
Buick OEM wheels??? HPIM3478

Wojtek and ayilar like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:55 pm

You can run any wheel you want with time, money, and billet adapters.

Show us some of the ones you're considering.

Also, welcome!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm going to use these 18" rims when I finally get my wagon redone.

The 1st pix is how it looks when you buy it, and I'm going to modify the grooves to look like the 2nd one. Then add a Buick center cap to look like factory Buick rims. Ok Somewhat!

Buick OEM wheels??? 625blackmachinede_zps2b964b8c

Buick OEM wheels??? 123_zps0c5175a6
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Mike, while they do look good, I get the vibe this guy wants a bigger, more modern looking wheel.

Studebricker, the reason you don't see a lot of that conversation on this board is due to the majority of this particular community favoring older OEM and smaller wheels.

You can use any newer Buick wheel. Like Ray said, with adapters. They will need to have thickness to them due to the FWD offset on all new Buicks. Probably 2-3". Something larger that would fit directly would be the 17" Impala SS wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm running the IMPs for the reason, they bolt on. There are aftermarket rims bigger with the correct offset and 5x5 bolt pattern.

I've seen a few guys on the Impala forum running some of the newer jeep wheels too as they are the same bolt pattern. But you still need the adapters for the offset.

Also with the fender skirts in the back you have to watch out for too much negative offset as well as they will rub.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:07 am

Offset is no big deal - just do your homework and buy adapters of the proper bolt pattern and thickness.

I've thought about this exact thing, and I have two thoughts for you to consider:
1. The main thing you need to worry about is weight capacity. These cars are heavy, and the stock tire load rating is 101. Can the tires and wheels you choose handle the weight? OEM wheels are generally stronger than aftermarket wheels, but you will need to make sure you are not overstressing wheels. Also, given a particular wheel size, can you find a tire with sufficient load rating?
2. Generally these cars do not look good with wheels without a lip. The trend in newer cars is toward lipless wheels. Granted, this is subjective, but just keep it in mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 am

Agreed. Wheel size will be a factor. Consider 20" wheels for the most available load rating tires that will work. Many trucks come with 20" wheels with tires of sufficient carrying capacity. Now to find a wheel from a vehicle that will work.

Tires are definitely out there.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 am

Studebricker wrote:
Hey guys, I am new but haven't seen this topic brought up -- maybe for a good reason.  But anyway, I was wondering if there were any new/recent Buick wheels out there (like say from a Lacrosse, Regal, or whatever) that is a 17" or 18" wheel that will fit a RMW.
The 5 on 5” bolt pattern does limit the number of OEM wheels there are to choose from, and those do fit are often only available in a 15” diameter. Furthermore, the large hub diameter prevents newer 5 on 5” vehicle wheels (Jeep for instance) from being direct a bolt on. That isn’t a reason to quit though, as there are some exceptionally pleasing factory wheels out there that can be picked up for very reasonable prices, often with decent tires already mounted.

Studebricker wrote:
The thing is Buick does put some nice alloys on their new vehicles and so I thought "keeping it in the family" would help the rims to integrate more with the Buick look.  If they made our original alloys in a 17" rim I would keep them because I like the sort of turbine look.
This is kind of a sore subject that seems to percolate unseen just below the surface here that no one really talks about. But there is a definite trend on this board to shy away from any wheel that doesn’t directly bolt on. Not sure if it is a result of past bad experience or just an unwillingness to work outside the norm, but you can likely count the number of cars on this board that are running adapters to mount a different wheel using both hands. And as if to prove it, the first reply to your query was to suggest a set of 15 inch factory wheels. Note that at the same time there is a thread two below this one bemoaning the fact they can’t easily locate reasonably-priced whitewall tires in the factory size.

Admittedly there are many people over @ the Impala SS Forum that are running adapters to mount different wheels, IIRC there are a couple of decent threads stickied in the wheel & tire section there that can give you an idea of what you’ll be facing.

Studebricker wrote:
I know a lot of you guys put the Impala wheels on RMWs, and that's fine, but to me, they just don't fit the style of the rest of the car.
Given the considerations mentioned above, Impala wheels are an often seen addition because they are a proven fit behind our skirted rear wheel wells and the 17” diameter allows a better selection of tires to choose from. Add in they are reasonably priced and do look good (if not to your preference) on most every permutation of B/D body and it is easy to see why they are so popular.

Studebricker wrote:
I hope what I'm trying to say gets through.  I'm basically looking for something that fits the look of a Buick more -- but is a larger wheel, to gain access to more performance tire sizes.  Thanks much.
While comments like “anything can be made to fit with adapters” are well intentioned, the fact is, that no they can’t. And as you have already deduced, there isn’t much information that has been previously posted here to actually help you know what to do.

As a begin your search, use the link below to help figure out what combination of sizes and offsets might work:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

To start, use an Impala SS wheel as your master reference:

Impala wheels are 17 inches in diameter x 8.5 inches wide as measured from the inside bead-to-inside bead (Or roughly 9.5 inches when measured outside-to-outside). The Impala wheel is designed to slip fit over the 3.062” diameter B-Body hubs.

Impala wheels have approximately 8 mm of offset, which corresponds to 5-1/16” of backspacing (as measured from the outside lip to the wheel mounting surface).

From experience, the front of a B-body can tolerate no more than about 5-1/2” of backspacing on a 17 inch wheel before you run the risk of contacting the upper A-arm. Larger wheels will help, but you are into the tie rod end almost immediately afterwards anyway. In back, a 255/50-17 tire mounted on an Impala wheel is pretty much at the limit of what the outside wheel wells will accept (allowing for the average production body-to-frame alignment tolerances) without running the risk of hitting the RMW chrome trim.

One last note is that the factory wheels studs are about 1-1/8” long, so that is a minimum width for adapters / spacers to ensure that the wheel doesn’t hit the tips of the existing studs before it contacts the mounting surface.

Many factory wheels are relieved on the back side between the bolts holes to save weight, sometimes that can permit a slightly thinner adapter/spacer to be installed if everything is verified beforehand. Many, if not most aftermarket wheels (also to include the factory Impala SS wheels) are solid between the bolt holes. (Usually done to permit multiple patterns to be drilled in a common casting / forging at the time of manufacture.)

With those measurements in mind, you should be able to effectively juggle wheel & tire widths, offsets and adapter thicknesses to come up with an idea of the setup needed to clear everywhere. By following Joel’s recommendation to not stray too far from the factory load rating and add-in some judicious parts shopping, you should be able to piece together a combination that will be not only be functional and safe, but cost-effective and attractive to boot.

- J

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:37 am

Welp.

JaySS just won this thread.

Never thought about the studs being an issue.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 am

Great post Jay! I have two sets of adapters but haven't gotten rims for them yet.

Something else to consider: I bought a set of 17inch TSW rims from a forum member. new in the box, tires never on them. Bolt pattern 5x5 offset perfect. Issue is the wheel itself. When I got a tire on it, and went to mount it, the hub area is thick and I need longer studs and special skinnier lug nuts. DOH!

I'm saving them for my 94 build car as I don't want to buy sets of longer studs for several cars so I can move them around Sad.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:09 pm

I have a set of Imp wheels, and am going to weld lugs on them to mount real Moon hubcaps and use dzus fasteners to attach them. I would like to use 255/50/17s, because they are 27 inches in diameter, and will work well with my VSS gearing. I may use a slightly smaller width front tire, just because I like the look. If you are running stock tires on a 91-93 wagon, and switch to the 255-50-17s you will have to go a tooth smaller on the VSS driven gear to correct for the tire size.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Before bothering switching the speedo gear always check the speedometer with a GPS.I was running 235/50/17s on my OCC and the speedo was reading about 6 mph fast.I switched to 255/50/17 and my speedo is dead on now and thats checking it with 2 different GPSs.
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies!  Actually I do like that first pic with the white wagon.  I think those old Buick rims are similar to the 67 Shelby Magstars, and I would like those with Buick caps if they're out there in 17 or 18s.

Sounds like I will not pursue any new Buick rims though -- I didn't realize they were so different these days with the offset and all.  I just thought maybe new Regal rims might just bolt on, or something like that.

I guess the Impala rims would be fine, I just don't like the thick metal spokes.  Maybe I could have the spokes painted dark grey or black, not sure...

Then of course, there are Torq Thrust wheels, which do look cool, I'm just not sure they would look that great on my car unless I do a lot of custom type mods, like some of you guys have done.

Again, thanks for the replies and photos.  It helps to see what looks good on our cars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Yah, I think $250 and up per rim would be pushing it for me. Just not seeing any large-ish rims that appeal to me. I guess 5 on 5s are not the most common wheels out there which is too bad for us I guess...
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Well, there's these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-American-Racing-AR500-Silver-Wheel-Rim-s-5x120-7-5-120-7-5x4-75-17-7-/151115621565

But $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Those wheels look cool, but it doesn't appear they offer them in 5x127mm (5x5").
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 4:45 pm

I think now I am leaning towards finding some Impala rims and doing a gloss blackout of the center with some kind of Buick logo cap.  Where are you guys finding your SS rims and how much is a good price for a used set?  I am not finding anything on local craigslist. Thanks much...
Back to top Go down
1tireman

1tireman

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Studebricker wrote:
I think now I am leaning towards finding some Impala rims and doing a gloss blackout of the center with some kind of Buick logo cap.  Where are you guys finding your SS rims and how much is a good price for a used set?  I am not finding anything on local craigslist.  Thanks much...

I paid $300 for a set I found on Craigslist 2 hours away. I was a little disappointed in the shape as they were not as described and was going to pass but original price was $400 which I don't think is bad for a nice set but when I showed the guy our texted conversation about me coming 2 hours and the shape he described, he took my offer. They look nice when I had them on my wagon and still run them time to time but condition will be deciding factor on how much you will have to pay. I have seen reconditioned sets for around $600 if I'm not mistaken.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 8:35 pm

I have sold 4-5 sets over the past 2-3 years. I super nice set might sell for as much as $800 but would likely be an in the box set. A rough set might sell for $200 if they need clear but not cracked or bent.
Back to top Go down
David R.

PostSubject: I need help picking the right size wheel and off set    Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 am

Hello all I see that there are charts for this, but was hoping for assistance.
I would like to get 17" Grand Sport Rally look wheels for my 96 BRMEW . I also would like to use these tires
https://simpletire.com/vogue-custom-built-radial-viii-tires

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Here's my new to me Ride
Back to top Go down
David R.

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 am

Buick OEM wheels??? Receiv15
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 9:47 am

Here is a tire/wheel calculator, so you can get the right size:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 am

I have had the Vogues before. IMO they compliment our rides nicely. 235/55/17 worked well for me.
Back to top Go down
David R.

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks Andebe, now if I could just find a Rally Wheel to go along with them?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 pm

David R. wrote:
Thanks Andebe, now if I could just find a Rally Wheel to go along with them?

17" Buick Rally Wheels

https://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/circle-racing-wheels/104-series-billet-buick-rallye-polished-rim-with-painted-slots/

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?gclid=CjwKCAjwgbLzBRBsEiwAXVIygILuYKDWWONTIZSgpkgf3Qf81XfOnhFPEB8GKteHf4BmmThpjfg6VBoCvBMQAvD_BwE&target=runWheelSearch&wheelMake=American+Racing+Authentic+Hot+Rod&wheelModel=VN501+500+Mono+Cast&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&initialPartNumber=VN50177034500BMF&GCID=C13674x012-wheel&KEYWORD=wheels_American_Racing_Authentic_Hot_Rod_VN501_500_Mono_Cast_Machined_w%2FBlack_Accent_Wheels_17x7_00&code=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoModel=El+Camino&autoYear=1981&autoModClar=&checkVehicle=&ef_id=CjwKCAjwgbLzBRBsEiwAXVIygILuYKDWWONTIZSgpkgf3Qf81XfOnhFPEB8GKteHf4BmmThpjfg6VBoCvBMQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322455733!!!g!132610626493!&gclsrc=aw.ds
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I can save you money on the center caps, if you decide to go this route. I have a set n.i.b.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buick OEM wheels???   Buick OEM wheels??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buick OEM wheels???
Page 1 of 1