GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Small incident with the Starship

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Small incident with the Starship Empty
PostSubject: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 am

No sooner do I get LROM, and stupid things happen. A few days ago, I put air in my rear tires, and buttoned everything up. Today, the driver's side rear hubcap decided to pop off while I was driving, and took the fender skirt with it. Someone hit the hubcap, and someone else hit the fender skirt. What a mess. The good side is that there was no damage to the body, and I have the molds, so can make another one. I was over at my dad's, and I have already laid up the first layer of glass. I also have the prerequisite case of the fiberglass itch to go with fiberglass part.

While I was visiting with my dad after it got too dark to work on the skirt, my cell phone battery got extremely hot, and put a burn on my leg. I have no idea why it did that, but it is really tender. FWIW, the phone is a Kyocera from Metro PCS. I guess that adds insult to injury. I really feel beat up today.

I should have the part out of the mold tomorrow, and maybe even mounted. I really had other plans for tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Sad news Fred. Good luck with the mold.
Pete
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 2:43 pm

I do hear they have a pretty hot 4G network...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I do hear they have a pretty hot 4G network...
???? I have a disconnect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:17 pm

I will gladly trade with you Fred,today has been pretty rough health wise!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 pm

I got the part molded, and started finishing it. A lot of small bubbles on the surface when glassing. I should have it ready for fitting and paint tomorrow. I planned to check for my firewall leak, and get it fixed. Maybe next week.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

I got the skirt painted and on. I found the firewall leak...it was coming in under the windshield. I used some modeling clay to make little dams, and filled them with water. The center one drained as fast as I could fill it. I just happened to have about 2 oz. of window urethane from the rear glass install, and paddled it inbetween the glass and the firewall for about 8 inches on both sides of the leak. Checked it, and no water.

I was already to button everything up, and I smelled something electrically hot, then the instrument cluster lights went out. The #14 fuse melted, and finally fell apart, causing it to open the circuit. I had the AC fuse do the same thing a while ago, and wired in a new remote fuse socket. This time I am going to put in a donor fuse block. It means tearing the dash out down to almost the firewall, and swapping the good fuse sockets to the donor block one by one. I also have to solder 3 wires to repair the damage. I am so happy I could spit.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:04 am

Sorry about the non-stop frustration Fred. At least you found that water leak that's been plaguing you for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small incident with the Starship   Small incident with the Starship Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small incident with the Starship
Page 1 of 1