GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
convert2diesel

Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Empty
PostSubject: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Just got an email from Toms Axles (finally, only took him 7 months to respond) saying he now has stock of the unique axles for the Caddys with the 4 channel anti-locks.

http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/2011catalog/Pages133-150.pdf

Part number is on page 139

These axles have the outboard reluctor rings and seem to be made better than stock. He is quoting $245.00 for a matched pair.

Hope this helps

Bill
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 12:20 am

I've got a good Fleetwood axle shaft for a lot less than that if anyone needs one.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 1:11 am

gm abs is a liability not an asset,..
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 9:45 am

This was a long standing issue I had. Have purchased three sets of "used" axles for this car and out of 6 axles, only found 2 that were marginal (currently installed). If there is one thing that continues to be an issue with these cars, its the way the bearings are set up. Bad design. Lose the bearing and it takes the axle with it. Became a real issue when I used the car to tow the trailer. Left me stranded twice.

Yes you can install the non-reluctor axles and dis-connect the ABS but if you want to retain the ABS, and yes, the traction control, you need the correct axle. Tom's were the only company that I found that made an aftermarket, upgraded, unit. This axle is unique to the Fleetwoods so there is not much of a market for them. Obviously his lead time is over 12 months and he finally got them in.

Just passing out the info as effective May 15th, the Caddy is going to someone that can spend the time and resources to bring the old girl back up to the standards that she deserves. Been a good ride but I need a daily that is a little younger than 20 years old.

Bill

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 10:49 am

convert2diesel wrote:

Yes you can install the non-reluctor axles and dis-connect the ABS but if you want to retain the ABS, and yes, the traction control, you need the correct axle.  
Bill

Aren't you the guy that always says he doesn
t want a computer to the driving or be in charge?

Nick
No ABS,. just BS
No traction control,. just controlled traction.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 8:07 am

I've wondered if you can convert 95/96 Fleetwoods to regular ABS using B-body parts. The EBTCM is the same PN as the B-body one, just has extra connections to make the traction work. Looks like a couple grounded wires tell the unit if its just ABS or has TC.
The traction on the Fleetwood has to be the worst system ever designed, I've almost gotten in an accident twice in my Fleetwood because it decided I shouldn't be accelerating anymore due to a little sand under the rear wheels.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 9:58 am

95BRMW wrote:
I've wondered if you can convert 95/96 Fleetwoods to regular ABS using B-body parts.  The EBTCM is the same PN as the B-body one, just has extra connections to make the traction work.  Looks like a couple grounded wires tell the unit if its just ABS or has TC.
The traction on the Fleetwood has to be the worst system ever designed, I've almost gotten in an accident twice in my Fleetwood because it decided I shouldn't be accelerating anymore due to a little sand under the rear wheels.

You would also have to install the reluctor ring in the diff for this system to work. In addition, there is the question of the extra brake line and corresponding ABS pump. You would have to swap over the entire system from a "B" car to make it work. Also don't know if the ABS computer would have to be changed as well.

The traction control does take a little getting used to but have found it does the job it was intended to do. With the ice and snow up here, I have had lots of practice. Don't think the General ever intended it to perform like a posi but the TC does work as an acceptable compromise for everyday driving and it does have the advantage of giving you a full 4 circuit ABS......big improvement over the older 3 circuit systems.

Other than getting out of a hole or deep snowbank, my major complaint about posi has always been that in lots of circumstances in the winter, the posi kicks in and you lose steering control at low speed, like turning left into an intersection where the posi kicks in and pushes the car straight right into the intersection, regardless of front wheel position. The big Fords were notorious for this as well when equipped with posi.

Nick:

I am not a Luddite but I do contend that if the same function can be achieved using mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic means, that it should remain so. Electronics should only be used when they present a definitive advantage, like the benefits of common rail fuel delivery and ignition control. When combined with good driving practice, and driver education, things like ABS, yaw control etc. have been proven to be a good thing and have reduced accidents. Non of that is possible without the reactive times of electronics.

Mechanical things tend to perform/wear in a predictable manner. Electronics tend to either work, or not work, and give no warning when they decide to not work. My big issue is when my actions are dictated to by how some nerd has perceived the situation "should be". That should be left to the operator, not a computer programmer. When I put my foot on the go pedal, I want the engine to accelerate, not just open up negotiations with the computer.

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:56 am

convert2diesel wrote:

Nick:  

I am not a Luddite

mennonite??

convert2diesel wrote:

When I put my foot on the go pedal, I want the engine to accelerate, not just open up negotiations with the computer.

Bill

The fancy electronic help you drive crutches have saved some folks yes,. because most of them couldn't drive a pig to market,,. let alone a car.
Ever notice that folks that can't corner buy a sports sedan,. folks that can't drive in slippery conditions, buy an awd,. and all of them are usually in my way,..with 50 ton of logs on the back,..

Negotiations with the 8051,. they're easy,. you can tell it how to answer,.

Ps,. you REALLY should drive my pickup,. it negotiates better than any 6.5 i,ve ever driven or competed with,..

Wink 
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 10:43 pm

"The Luddites were 19th-century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour-saving machinery from 1811 to 1817. The stocking frames, spinning frames and power looms introduced during the Industrial Revolution threatened to replace the artisans with less-skilled, low-wage labourers, leaving them without work.

Although the origin of the name Luddite (/ˈlʌd.aɪt/) is uncertain, a popular theory is that the movement was named after Ned Ludd, a youth who allegedly smashed two stocking frames in 1779, and whose name had become emblematic of machine destroyers.[1][2][3] The name evolved into the imaginary General Ludd or King Ludd, a figure who, like Robin Hood, was reputed to live in Sherwood Forest."

Essentially anyone opposed to technology.

And yes, I would really like to take your truck for a run. No doubt you have convinced the puter to do what you want it to.

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 11:23 pm

i thought ottawa was predominately mennonite,..

ps,. i have google too,.Smile
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 1:14 am

phantom 309 wrote:
i thought ottawa was predominately mennonite,..

ps,. i have google too,.Smile

No, mostly pedantic  Sleep 

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods   Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally, replacement axles for the Fleetwoods
Page 1 of 1