GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

KDS Class III/IV Hitch

Go down 
+36
NHroadmasterLR
94Woody
Garrett Crozier
Underpowered
Isurf
Viceroy454
carguyray
verdurous
udownwitk
MalibuSSwagon
olstykke
melonman26
jxdrl
stewzer55
bamalongroof
ajharman
scoffman
JAMBO
GSBULLDOG
BigBlackBeaSSt
oldfriendabb
s1l1sc
NO RTR 7
turborat
steel-and-fire
AzDon
71novaguy
Big Wagon Guy
redcaddy
FarmingEngineer
phantom 309
buickwagon
autoarcheologist
silverfox103
beertestr
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
beertestr

KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Maybe it's because it's a relatively warm day here in Detroit, but it reminds me that towing season is coming up. I have a few more pieces to make a handful of hitches, anybody in for one?
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 am

I'm Interested!
Back to top Go down
Viceroy454

Viceroy454

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:43 am

I'll buy one off of you. Let me know where to send the money.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 3:48 pm

are you still building these hitches ?
Back to top Go down
beertestr

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Isurf wrote:
are you still building these hitches ?

Yessir, I have pieces in stock to build 2 more and another batch of laser cut pieces on order. Please contact me via email, michael@kds-performance.com and I'll work up a shipping quote.
Back to top Go down
Underpowered

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 pm

I saw on your site you are developing one for the earlier models, that the 77-8? tucked a bit different, still have those in the works?

If so, very interested in a "kit" version. i'd much rather save on shipping and weld it up myself.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 am

beertestr, Thanks my hitch arrived today, looks good. It will wait for warmer weather to install. Might take a run at a test fit sooner if I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 12:20 pm

OK, so I have my new hitch in bare metal. I'm thinking POR 15 to coat and protect.  Any other options, suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 10:11 pm

From my experience, POR is best when it has some roughness/rust to stick to. If it were me, I'd hit it will some etching primer and paint with top coat of your choice, semi gloss rustoleum ect. I wonder if rocker paint would look good, it is supposed to be chip resistant.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Skip the POR and go for a good prime and paint.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 11:29 am

beertestr,
I just sent an email asking if you are still making these hitches. I have a 1993 with tow pack that I'd like to put on one. Let me know via email the damage to get one shipped to Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Back to top Go down
NHroadmasterLR

PostSubject: Late to the party but I'm looking for a hitch.   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Looking for a hitch for my 92 Roadmaster Wagon. Any one know how I can get hold of one of these.
Back to top Go down
Mr Project

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Thanks to KDS for a nice piece of kit! Here's a video I made of my installation - I probably should have checked with Michael first before installing it in a way it wasn't exactly designed for... but here we are Smile

I have a thread going in the member project section too if you're curious about the Duramax conversion overall. Still have a ways to go.

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 pm

You might consider reinforcing the receiver at the rearmost face as they'll eventually split the tube, typically at the bottom.

If you look at any of the purchased receiver tubes, they all have a "doubler" at the face of them for this reason.

KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 715SFNKnWQL._AC_SL1500_

silverfox103 and Mr Project like this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Project

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 11:14 am

Good call, thanks. That actually 'reinforces' the point that I should have just bought a premade receiver tube and cut it to length. It would have already had the holes and the doubler and would have saved me some work. If I was doing it again, I'd go that way.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 10:12 pm

You might be able to cut a slice of 3x3x1/4 wall box tube that you can weld on as a doubler or spend a bit of time with the welder and just weld a bunch of 1/2" long stringers around the perimeter at the end to do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Fizzix

Fizzix

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 am

Are these still being made?

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm

ayilar and Fizzix like this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Project

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 1:49 pm

Update on my KDS hitch - I really should have just used a pre-made receiver rather than using the extra bit of tube that I had left from the crossbar.

It turns out that the ID of the 2.5" 1/4" wall tube I was using was 2.02", and a standard receiver tube is 2.07". That 50 thousandths is a big deal, it's the difference between a draw bar fitting and not fitting. So, I had to cut off the receiver tube I made, and weld on a pre-made one. Something I should have done from the beginning, since it would have saved me making a thickened edge or having to drill the hole for the pin.

franklinc55 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KDS Class III/IV Hitch   KDS Class III/IV Hitch - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KDS Class III/IV Hitch
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4