GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cat back exhaust ideas?

Go down 
+3
phantom 309
jasonlachapelle
My Betty
7 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

Cat back exhaust ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm looking for a cat. back system for my 96 RMW. It would be nice to add a little tone to the exhaust but I don't want it so loud I can't hear my self think. Any ideas on a cheap system? I found this one on Jeggs:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/30410/10002/-1

Thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Not gonna fit. The over the axle pipes are different on wagons.

For that money, I'd just visit your local trusty muffler shop.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks. I thought it was weird that I was able to specify "wagon" in the search but it didn't list it on this kit. Only problem with my local "trusty" muffler shop is that they're no longer "trusty". They will charge me an arm an a leg and tell me I need a hundred other things. I might wind up having to piece something together myself.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 pm

You can get the Jegs to fit with minimal modification. It's a decent kit but if you drive your car in the Jersey winter it won't last very long. 2, maybe 3 years. One of the reasons it's so cheap is because it has no resonators. So it's considerably louder than stock.

FYI, the pypes X-pipe is 409 SS.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:58 pm

put a couple of better mufflers on it ,.the factory exhaust is already stainless,.

you won't gain any horsepower with a fancy cat back on a stock motor,.

Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 pm

My Dynomax VT mufflers are near stock quiet as cruising speed, but at heavy throttle they rumble nicely and roar with the cats removed! Wink

Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 12:27 am

Have you had any ratteling problems with the muffler at idle on the Dynomax VTs?
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 9:07 am

Nope, the first run of VT's had a rattle issue, but they added a coating to the valve to stop this.
Mine never rattled, and are absolutely amazing. They are stockfish quiet cruising down the highway and putting around town, but when you get over 1/3 throttle and the valves open they are Nascar loud with my export pipes. I love these mufflers.

I did try to put these VT's on my Dodge Magnum and they rattled like a Bitch. I returned them to Dynomax under their 30 day return policy. Dynomax said it has to do with the specific engine pulse and x pipes etc. Some certain engines will rattle them.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 9:20 am

Heres a video of them cruising and then me stabbing the gas, so you can hear how silent they are at cruise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmiapiP1m4

Normal acceleration…..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zSKiFb1Us

Wide F'n open! lol Climbing a huge hill!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3gjR0VTwAo
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 2:37 pm

I also have the VT's and really do like them they are not stock quiet. Cruising with the radio on they are not at all noticeable but are with complete silence in the car they are. I have the pypes cat to muff with X pipe and modified sedan over the axle pipes. Here is the best shot I have of my exhaust (with the turbo muffs that had a terrible drone).

Cat back exhaust ideas? Car-004

Here is a clip I made with the VT's installed @ 75 on the hwy.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 8:05 pm

This may help:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=266062

For most cars, though, I would agree with Nick: keep the factory stainless, and if you want some tone, swap out the mufflers.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 1:36 pm

I wound up oredering mufflers and intermediate pipes from Rockauto.com for $110. I installed them myself. Not bad. The mufflers are a tad smaller than stock and have a little bit of a growl at idle and throatier under a load but very mild.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cat back exhaust ideas?   Cat back exhaust ideas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cat back exhaust ideas?
Page 1 of 1